Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renovate a caravan?

michelekeane74
Growing in Experience

How to renovate a caravan?

1000002823.jpg

1000002824.jpg

  

1000002825.jpg

1000002826.jpg

1000002827.jpg

I am renovating a caravan for my teenage son. I have never renovated anything so have no idea. I have ripped out half the caravan and have found some floor damage. I'm happy to do whatever it takes to get it right. I just want to know if when replacing and finishing do I do the floor or walls first. As I was removing damaged walls I noticed that they go under the floor... Which would be easier. And what material would I use to replace floors and walls. Any help would be appreciated. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: caravan restoration

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @michelekeane74. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring a caravan.

It really depends on the extent of the damage and how much of the floor and wall need to be removed for the repair. If there is substantial decay in the floor, you could be looking at entirely removing the floor and the walls that sit on top of it. If it is just a small section that needs repair, then you might get away with patching here and there. If you can provide some images of the areas you'd like to fix and the damage, then members like @twocutekelpies will have a much better idea of what you're working with, enabling them to make some helpful recommendations.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

1000002849.jpg

1000002850.jpg

1000002851.jpg

i have removed all the walls . Damage was pretty bad. Only parts of the floor are damaged so hoping I can do patch ups. Floor is unlevel in parts to so obviously I want to level it out before laying floor tiles.I just don't know what to use to replace floors

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @michelekeane74,

Typically, plywood is used for floors, and you'll need to measure the thickness to determine an appropriate replacement. Ensure you thoroughly waterproof the underside so no water can penetrate. 

Mitchell

twocutekelpies
Making a Splash

Re: How to renovate a caravan? Floor or walls first?

Hi Michele. Is this caravan going to be going on the road at all? I notice in one of the photos that there is quite a bit of rust on the chassis, might be worth exploring further. Especially look under the walls where they connect to the floor, the "z channel" is notorious for rusting out and causing separation. The z channel isn't something that can be bought off the shelf but any metal fabricator/sheet metal place can fold some up and possibly install for you.

IMG_5818.JPG
You're lucky that the floor doesn't go under the walls like some caravans, it makes it easier to replace. Most use 12mm ply sealed with something like Bitumen Paint underneath to protect from moisture, any thicker ply will be too heavy, any thinner will be too bouncy. If replacing just a section, make sure to line up the joins with sections of the chassis that will support your joins. 
WP_20170221_12_11_30_Pro.jpg

If you lift your floor out, it's a great opportunity to clean up, rust treat and paint your chassis. I put mine up on car ramps to give me better access underneath and not wear so much paint. 

IMG_20180525_100852_resized_20180527_070218209.jpg

If you're handy with a router, you can create an overlap join between your pieces of ply, again making sure the join is supported by a section of your chassis. 
Hope the above helps. 

Shelley 😊 

Instagram @twocutekelpies

Re: How to renovate a caravan? Floor or walls first?

Wow this is a great reply... Thanks so much for your help... Will update soon. 

michelekeane74
Growing in Experience

update

So I've ripped the bad floor up and next weekend will be bitumen painting the chassis and wheel arches  thanks to @twocutekelpies who commented on my post. (Really appreciate it). I'm excited about this project and would love tips and ideas. Thanks in advance

1000002869.jpg

1000002870.jpg

Re: update

Looking good @michelekeane74

Did you find much rust in the chassis?

I just wanted to ensure you're wearing appropriate PPE whilst conducting this renovation. There is a chance that asbestos was used in the carvans construction.

Caravans incorporated asbestos in their construction due to the prevailing building practices of that time, mirroring the standard features found in houses, such as power, plumbing, internal frames, linings, insulation, and windows. Consequently, similar to houses from the same era, various components within older caravans may contain asbestos.

Flooring Materials: The original floor tiles, as well as linoleum or vinyl flooring, could potentially contain asbestos, which was added for increased durability.

Sealants: Asbestos was commonly integrated into the mastic used around windows, following the prevalent practice for sealants and putties during that period.

Wall Cavity Insulation: The insulation within the wall cavity might also contain asbestos.

Electrical Components: Asbestos could be present in electrical components, such as flash guards in fuses.

Heat Insulation: Behind the metal cover of a heat shield, typically found at the back of a stove top or gas burner stove, there might be a layer of "fibro-type" material containing asbestos.

Fridge Insulation: In older caravans with antique refrigerators, the insulation within the fridge body might contain asbestos.

Brake Linings (Shoes): Original brake linings are highly likely to contain asbestos.

Mattresses: Some mattresses were manufactured using a combination of horsehair and asbestos to render them inflammable.

Mitchell

I never even thought about asbestos 😲. My bad. The chassis looks rust free. Next weekend I will prep the chassis for the bitumen paint. I will no more about the rust situation then. But all in all it looks in pretty good shape ☺️

Does anyone know how many sheets of floor plywood I may need for an 18ft caravan

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects