Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help to remove concrete overflow?

amySA
Cultivating a Following

Help to remove concrete overflow?

I am looking to remove this concrete overflow from my brick edging in certain places so i can but up sleepers ends against it.

So far I have tried masonry chisel and a good ol' hammer. Both assist but minimally. 

Looking for suggestions. Concrete is quite thick. 

20240218_084321.jpg

20240218_084335.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help to remove concrete overflow

Hi @amySA,

If you have a few of these areas to clear, it would likely warrant the purchase of a rotary hammer drill. They have a chiselling function that would allow you to break away the concrete much faster than by hand. 

If you are currently using a wide masonry chisel, a thinner one or pointed chisel would likely be more effective as it concentrates your blow force on a smaller area. Also, are you using a club hammer instead of a claw hammer? Claw hammers don't have enough weight behind them to impart the force needed.

Remember your PPE, including eye and hand protection and a face mask.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
amySA
Cultivating a Following

Thank you this was very helpful.

A hammer drill has been on my list of things to buy so perhaps this is my opportunity. Is there particular drill bits needed for the purpose of chipping at cement? I've not used one as of yet but I imagine it's fairly straight forward? 

I have tried a club hammer with wide chisel and smaller chisel, no pointed one. However it think I lack the strength needed to successfully move it (I'm quite small lol) 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hammer drills will typically come with at least a couple of chisel bits, which can be used for this job @amySA. The use of the machine is fairly straightforward, but they can be a bit unwieldy. I imagine you'd be able to control the machine, though; it's nowhere near as bad as a jackhammer.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects