Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint metal window frames?

Harveers
Finding My Feet

How to paint metal window frames?

Hello Everyone, 

My house external walls are brick veneer walls and I am thinking of getting the brick wall rendered and then paint it white. I have two big full size windows at front of my house and the metal window frame colour is very light yellow. Please see the attached photos.  This colour will not look good with white paint. I have seen black colour windows with white wall paint and it looks very good. I am thinking of getting my window frames painted black before getting the walls rendered. 

May I know what is the best way to do it and which product is recommended for this. Your suggestions will be much appreciated. 

Thanks in Advance. 1710926535822.jpg1710926535832.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Metal Paint

Hello @Harveers 

Thanks for sharing your question about painting your aluminium window frames. The general steps are to thoroughly clean the window frame and wipe it down to make sure that it is free of grease dirt and debris. Sand the surface of the window frame and then give it another wipe down. Next you mask the areas you don't want to get over sprayed.

I propose having a look at the Dulux 300g Metalshield Epoxy Enamel Gloss Spray Paint New Machine Grey. It has excellent durability and rust protection. No primer is required for new bare steel, wrought iron or pre-painted metal surfaces. You also have the option of using an etch primer to get a good base for other topcoat paints.

Here is a link to our best advice: What is the best way to paint aluminium windows?

Here are fantastic painted window frame discussions our Workshop members have shared:

Please remember to wear personal protection such as appropriate clothing, shoes, gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects