Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount a clothesline into brick?

Bell_1986
Cultivating a Following

How to mount a clothesline into brick?

Hello I recently have had a man attempt to mount my fold down clotheline to new build brick house standard austral bricks using ramset ankerscrews 8mm (that i supplied) and it failed. I changed my clothesline and the bracket will take 6mm Max. I'm not sure if there is a way to utilise the exsisting holes from the 8mm ramset ankerscrew fail or if new holes will be needed and if so attempt to use 6mm ankerscrews - will be strong enough and why did fail first time.  

received_3902876036608804.jpeg

Bell_1986
Cultivating a Following

Re: ramset ankerscrew 8mm fail into brick

received_288448274035151.jpeg

received_716004987054962.jpeg

20231013_104047.jpg

20231013_115841.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Bell_1986  

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about anchoring your clothesline.

It's possible that the brick you've drilled into is hollow and the AnkaScrew has failed to get a grip onto the sides of the brick. If it is, I suggest using the following products to firmly anchor your clothesline in place. 

Ramset Chemset:

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:

The general steps are to drill the mounting hole into your brick, but since it's already been drilled you can skip this step. Next is to clean the interior of the brick making sure that it is free of dust and debris. You can use a bottle brush or use a bicycle pump to blow air into the hole to flush the brick dust out.   

Once the mounting holes are clean insert the Multifit sieve into the holes and then pump the chemical adhesive into the holes. You then insert the anchor studs into place. Once the adhesive has cured you can then mount the clothesline in place.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project. Please make sure to follow the installation instructions so that the anchor bolts are firmly glued in place.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bell_1986
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric I'm so happy to join the Bunnings Workshop Community! Peace of mind 🙂 Yes, the brick are quite hollow in areas. I have thought about this product although the  holes I have are 8mm and video states to drill 16mm holes for the multi sieves  .... also the clotheline bracket gaps only fit 6mm anchor bolts And the video states the anchor bolts are 8mm 

If I could get a multi sieves fits into the 8mm hole and a 6mm anchor bolt would be great? 

20231013_115850.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Bell_1986 

Can you please tell me the item number or model number of the Austral Clothesline set you purchased. I just want to make sure that I'll be providing you with the correct information. 

Eric

Bell_1986
Cultivating a Following

received_293451243427710.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Bell_1986 

Can you please tell me if you still have the default mounting screws that came with the set? If you do, the plugs included are 8mm and they are designed for the 6mm screws that came with the set. The best way to test this is to get one of the plugs and one of the screws and put them together. Attach the screw to the wall plug about 1/3 of the way in and test it on the hole of your brick wall. 

If the wall plug stops about halfway and it becomes very snug and difficult to push in, it should work with your existing hole. However, if it is very loose, I suggest drilling new holes in accordance with the template included with the set. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: Austral Compact Installation 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let me know.

Eric

Bell_1986
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric .... originally I had a different clothesline. Yes I still have the default mounting screws etc... I just thought something better to use than plastic wall plugs and those screws in my area QLD. I really do like the idea of the ramset ultrafix although what can I use with it to suit my needs.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Bell_1986 

I've had a good look at the sizes of the Ramset Anchor Stud and 8mm is the smallest one available. If you are still very keen to use the Chemset, it will be necessary to slightly modify the size of the mounting hole of the clothesline. I propose getting a packet of the 8mm Ramset Anchor Stud and having a look to see what modifications you'll need to make. 

However, please note that by modifying the clothesline it will void your warranty.   

There is also the option of using a Dynabolt, but if you have a hollow brick then it will not be ideal as the Dynabolt will not be able to anchor properly. Other than this the only option is to use a form of plastic wall plug.

Please let us know how you would like to proceed.

Eric

Bell_1986
Cultivating a Following

That will mean also making the holes in the brick larger to fit the multi sieves? 

Which way would you choose ?  :smile: 

Considering I live Fraser Coast

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects