Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount Matrix panels to farm gate?

nicoledee
Finding My Feet

How to mount Matrix panels to farm gate?

4218DF94-8C75-470A-9E3D-52D997725C95.jpeg

Hello, I’m hoping to install Matrix panels to my 1200 x 3600 farm gate. Is there a thin lightweight waterproof timber they should be mounted on first or would they be strong enough just mounted to the frame (I’m hoping to cut the mesh out so it can’t be seen through the matrix panel design). Any advise on mounting to the tubular surround is greatly appreciated, in addition info on what panels to purchase/cutting down/bracing option to fit this size please. THANK YOU 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to mount Matrix panels to farm gate?

Hi @nicoledee,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is great you have decided to join us and ask about attaching your Matrix panels to your farm gate. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon to assist, but let me tag our handy members @TedBear and @diy_hausdesigns to see if they have any advice. 

The community would love to follow your Matrix farm gate journey so please keep us updated with photos. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nicoledee

Thank you for sharing your question about mounting Matrix panels to your farm gate. I suggest using Porta 40 x 18mm 2.4m Moulding H3 Treated Pine DAR. This timber is treated to H3 and is protected from rot, fungal decay and termite attack. If you wish to add one more layer of protection you can paint it as well.

To mount the timber to your farm gate, I recommend using Carinya Make-A-Bracket. You can mount them in almost any direction and they can be cut down to size so that you only need one bracket to do the entire fence. To screw the bracket to the timber, I suggest using Zenith 8G x 20mm Tufcote® Countersunk Head Treated Pine Screws. These crews are designed to go into treated timber and can be used outside.

I propose putting one timber piece horizontally at the top and bottom of your farm gate. You can then mount the Matrix panel directly onto the timber frame. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thank you, this has been a great help so far. Would you  my one explaining how the carinya bracket works with the timber/fence attachment please? 

Hi @nicoledee,

Perhaps @EricL might have intended for you to use Carinya 20 x 600 x 1mm Flat Make-a-Bracket - single, wrap it around the tubular steel of the fence and then screw it into the treated pine from both sides. 

Another option might be to pre-drill your treated timber and screw up through it into the pipe with self-tapping screws. Furthermore, you could do away with the timber altogether and screw the Matrix panels directly to the tubular steel.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Screw pipe.png

Fantastic, this has been very helpful - thank you 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects