Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add a lock/latch to an existing cat flap in an aluminium door?

Caro
Growing in Experience

How to add a lock/latch to an existing cat flap in an aluminium door?

We have an aluminum sliding screen door that is fitted with a cat flap to match the pattern of the door.  Unfortunately, it does not have a latch fitted. I would like to be able to lock it on the outside of the door so I can lock the cat inside and keep the glass sliding door open.  Currently I have to close the glass doors to keep the cat in the house.  It doesn't need a latch on the inside as I want the cat to be able to enter the house anytime.  Any suggestions you could help with would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

Carolyn

20221031_093400.jpg           20221031_085213.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to add a lock/latch to an existing cat flap in an aluminium door?

Hi @Caro

I was thinking of a small rounded bracket with a self-tapping screw and washer that at night you turn to the vertical position, allowing the cat in - but not out. I think that's what you are after?

Cheers.

cat.PNG

Caro
Growing in Experience

Hi Noyade.  Yes, something like that might work.  I will look at the offerings for the bracket and screw in store.  Regards  Carolyn

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Caro

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Noyade. The product that he was referring to is possibly the Carinya 57 x 17 x 2mm Zinc Mending Plate. I suggest mounting it with Zenith 8G x 12mm Galvanised Button Head Metal Screws. It's built for outdoor use and can withstand all sorts of weather.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects