Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to identify this wood?

nicksom
Finding My Feet

How to identify this wood?

wood type help identify this please

IMG_20231120_180805.jpg

Ryno292
Finding My Feet

Re: wood type help identify this please

Looks similar to my deck which is Merbau hardwood

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nicksom 

Thanks for sharing your question about your deck. I agree with @Ryno292 it looks like Merbau but the narrower cut version of it. Is the decking panel 70mm across or is it 90mm? 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @woodalwaysworks, @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their opinion on the type of decking panel you have.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Ryno292 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us.

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge regarding the type of decking panel @nicksom has. 

We are keen to hear more about all your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please feel free to reach out whenever you need assistance or would like to share a project with the community.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to identify this wood?

Morning @nicksom 

Like @Ryno292 and @EricL My first thought was Merabu, Tho it does look like 70mm width (Dont think Bunnings stocks 70mm). I have a Jarrah hardwood pribacy screen that I used floorboards for and it looks very similar.

Does it look like the timber is its natural colour or has been stained? (Check the underside if you can) 

How easy is it to push a nail into the timber? It does look like hardwood but a nail into it will help decide (easy its softwood such as a pine, The Harder it then heads towards being a type of hardwood).

Dave

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @nicksom I agree with @EricL @Ryno292  and @Dave-1 

If it’s a decking, it most probably is merbau, if any other type it would have been more expensive than merbau.

woodalwaysworks
Making a Splash

Treated pine with many layers of merbau pigment stain

Because of how it’s weathered, some warped. In ares you can see a very light coloured timber where the deck has been knocked. Timber also has surface cracks and the same grain as pine.

Also look at the screws ~

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects