Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to enclose an outdoor area for a cat run?

sarahmagneto
Just Starting Out

How to enclose an outdoor area for a cat run?

My partner and I are looking to enclose this outdoor area so our cat has access from the window. I’m wondering how we might go about this?

IMG_7264.jpeg

IMG_7265.jpeg

IMG_7266.jpeg

   

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to enclose an outdoor area for a cat run?

Hello @sarahmagneto 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about creating a cat run.

There have been quite a few discussions regarding cat enclosures and cat runs. But I think it's important to take into consideration if you are covering the whole area or if you are just making a mid-size cage that allows your cat outside.

I propose thinking about building a lightweight timber frame that can cover the gap between your roof, fence and wall. You can then cover the frame with bird netting or pet mesh. This will save you from having to create or build elaborate anti-escape cat fencing. 

Here are some fantastic cat enclosures our Workshop members have shared:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much!

that sounds like a really wise idea. 
would you recommend fixing the frame to the wall and house directly?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sarahmagneto 

Anchoring methods is something that you'll need to think about. You want it easy to repair and maintain. Just make sure to use treated timber so that it is rated for use outside. I recommend drawing it on paper so that you'll have a very good idea of how big the frame will be, and how far you want it to go. It will put everything in perspective and give you a better idea of how much the project will cost.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects