Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a 50kg punching bag?

MalKas
Finding My Feet

How to hang a 50kg punching bag?

Hi All,

Happy new year 2024!

I am planning to hang a 50kg heavy punching bag and I wanted to get advice from the experts.

I have attached a photo of the installation location with dimensions. We recently bought this property and we don't have much idea about the construction details and I assume that;
  1. what we have underneath the beam is a steel plate (tape measure sticks on to the plate)
  2. solid brick column, but not sure whether it is a hollow columns with bricks outside
Location.png
I am considering 3 options for the installation.

1. On a swivel attached to the steel plate (https://www.manisports.com.au/collections/miscellaneous/products/steel-swivel-p-228)
  2. On a bracket attached to the brick column (https://www.manisports.com.au/collections/bag-stands/products/mani-heavy-duty-fixed-wall-bracket-p-3...)
  3. On a treated pine pole attached to either sides of brick columns underneath the steel plate with the below steps.
  • Use two 90 x 45mm treated pine poles fixed in T shape
  • Support either end of the above on the brick columns, with T upside down (I have no idea how to support it though)
  • Attach the swivel on to the middle of the pole.

Could you pls advice me on the above options (as I needed to make sure that I wouldn't cause any damages to the structure) and type of fixing bolts I should be using as options 1 and 2 do not come with the bolts?

Cheers,
Mal
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to hang a 50kg punching bag?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @MalKas. We're delighted to have you join us and look forward to seeing and assisting you with your home improvement and garden projects. 

Thanks for your question. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc has been helping members during this period and I'm sure will be happy to provide some advice when he can. Let me also call on our experienced members @TedBear@Jewelleryrescue and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

While waiting, you can have a look at these previous similar discussion in case they help:

You might also find our guide on How to drill into brick handy for this project.

Hope this helps.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @MalKas 

I was thinking about your question. How about instead of the timber you use 2 of metal mate 40 x 40 x 1.6mm 3m galvanised steel square tube bolted together along the 2170mm length? Or if you know of a steel manufacturer near where you are, you could probarly get a thicker walled and rectangular tube. You could mount on the side of the brick supports (where you red measurement line is) two metal horizontal lengths and then the double square chanel can be bolted through the horizontal piece into the top bar.

I like the anchor screws to go into brick/concrete Ramset 10 x 100mm Zinc AnkaScrew Masonry Anchor I would really like a square plate with the horizontal piece of tube welded to it so you could have a wide spacing of four anchor screws per post. With just the horizonal bar you could def get two into the post but three may be too close together. There are chemical anchors as well but will let someone who has used that type to give you the info.

Dave

Thanks @Akanksha for the friendly welcome and thanks @Dave-1 a lot for your prompt advice.

Can I pls know whether I could fix the swivel directly on to the square tube or do I need to put something in between? Just wanted to check with you whether this it would be noisy if I directly attach the swivel to the steel bar.

Thanks again.

Mal

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @MalKas 

Mmmm the swivel has three holes in it... You could use a U bolt to fasten it to the steek tube, did you find a stronger one locally?

U bolt  should show you a range you could use. You could make a plate up and then attach it the the tube with U bolts but you will be loosing height with ever added bit. I dont know if it would be noisy :smile: Depends on how good a boxer you become?

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MalKas,

Ideally, fixing the swivel into the steam beam would be the most positive connection. However, you are compromising the structural integrity of the beam by doing so and then putting additional stress on the supporting beam by using the punching bag. You'd need to consult with an engineer as to whether this is possible. 

A similar issue with the columns is that if they are single bricks, they are not designed to hold the bag's weight and deal with its stresses. 

@Dave-1 has some good ideas. Another option might be to bolt a 190 x 45mm Outdoor Framing MGP10 H3 Treated Pine 6.0m to the front and back of the columns. The top could also be bolted into the first course of bricks above the beam. In the centre, where you are to hang the bag, you could install bridging timbers screwed between the outer timbers for mounting the swivel. I've created a rendering below to illustrate.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

box.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects