Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a split decking board?

Burnside7
Growing in Experience

How to fix a split decking board?

New decking boards have been laid and we’ve noticed that there is a split in one of the boards near the entry door. The split is about 2m long and is approximately 2cm at its widest to almost nothing at the end (a long triangular shape). Any suggestions on best way to repair? ThanksTotal lengthTotal lengthWidest sectionWidest sectionMid sectionMid sectionNext to narrowest sectionNext to narrowest sectionNarrowest sectionNarrowest section

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to fix split decking board

That's a bit unfortunate @Burnside7.

There's no way I can think of that would fix this issue. I think it would either be a case of leaving it be and seeing if it causes issues ( I do see there is already a chipped section) or pulling up the board and replacing it. If it's really bothering you, I'd suggest pulling up the board and replacing it. Do you have any of the deck stain left so you can ensure the replacement board matches?

Can I just confirm that it's actually a crack? In some areas, it looks to be, but in others, it clearly looks like some heavy object has been dragged across the surface as below. If it is a drag mark, it appears as if when the object was dropped off the side of the board, it caused the chip. I guess that's irrelevant, though, as if it's bothering you it needs to be replaced.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Burnside7
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell

It’s definitely a crack as it moves when touched/walked on. I can live with the chip.

Regards.

Hi @Burnside7 

To  my  eye there are other mirco cracks on  other adjacent boards.

Timber  drying out to far?  

Once the  cracks open the timber will perish  faster.

So try sealing the timber and boards and see if you can  increase their life span,

Try  this oil  based   product  might rejuvinate timber a  little may help seal cracks big and small.

Sikkens 4L Natural Cetol Deck Timber Finish

I/N: 0412284

$174

• Quick drying
  • Ideal for decks and all exterior timber
  • Long lasting weather and UV protection
  • Beautiful transparent low satin finish
  • Lower environmental impact and odour. Compared to a typical solvent-based equivalent
A highly water repellent, weather-resistant, high build transparent coating for exterior timber decks and handrails. For a natural look and extra hard-wearing premium UV protection and durability, 

Hi @Jewelleryrescue 

Thanks for your comments. I noticed these cracks and some splits near the ends of the boards.  I can say I'm not happy with the tradie who installed them, only a month or so ago.  There are several coats of decking oil on the boards, but I'm happy to keep on oiling to build up weather resistance.

Thanks again. 

Hi @Burnside7 

Sorry  your tradie has supplied  some splittering wood slats .

The  product I recommened is oil like with the added benefits of superior protection and can be future reapplied with out sanding as a bonus.

Iwas thinking about those bigger cracks  how do you feel about getting some pva  clear  wood  glue into them and use little timber wedges  against slat  closest crack to  close and glue them   before sealing. Pva is also water proof wipe excess with rag.

For wedges sacrific a few  clothing  pegs they might be wedge shape.

I truly hope this helps

Thanks again @Jewelleryrescue 

I did decide a few days ago to try gluing, even if it ended up being temporary.  So far so good.  Currently wedged in with plastic plugs until I can get good sized wooden wedges.  I was a bit perplexed at first about the clothing pegs until I realized you would be referring to wooden pegs. (I only have steel pegs but I get the idea.)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects