Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to direct drainage water from a site into road gutters?

Sica
Just Starting Out

How to direct drainage water from a site into road gutters?

What must be installed before directing drainage water from a site into road gutters? I'm trying to complete theory questions for my landscaping apprenticeship over the Christmas break and don't have anyone at work I want to bother with this question so thought someone here might know. My thoughts was overflow points but I've no idea as I've not completed this kind of job before. Cheers.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: What must be installed before directing drainage water from a site into road gutters?

Afternoon @Sica 

Wow to answering theory questions over Christmas! They are making you work hard!

When I have been trolling through various development approvals or the council website I have found that they specify what is needed in their application process.

It may be an idea to look up your local council website and see what they say is necassary to do.

Dave

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to direct drainage water from a site into road gutters?

Hi @Sica 

Looking back at  past building sites there was always   water trap  (hole / ditch) in case of heavy rains and  geo cloth  filter  to catch sediment and  drain water. On the roads we always  used sand bags as dams as back up  to catch sediment from entering drainage  system.

Cant  tell you if this is still the best practice  or not.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What must be installed before directing drainage water from a site into road gutters?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Sica. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about drainage water.

I believe the answer you're looking for is that, at a minimum, a sediment barrier needs to be in place. Before directing drainage water, it's important to have a comprehensive Stormwater Management Plan in place. This plan outlines how stormwater will be managed on the site, including drainage paths, water quality measures, and erosion control.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects