Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix if the base prep for pavers went wrong?

michaelsync
Getting Established

How to fix if the base prep for pavers went wrong?

Hi,

I am replacing the pavers. The grounds wasn't flat so I dig out and put two layers of crushed rock (road base) and river sand. I hired a small compactor from Bunnings and compacted the roadbase after every layers. I did the screening as well. 

I noticed that some small crashed rocks are not compacted enough no matter how long I compacted them. I ignored it and put the sand. 

So I have two questions. 

1. How can I fix the base/ground so the rubber pavers will be smooth and flat like a gym floor? I am thinking to hire a bigger competitor (70kg or more) and compact the sand and put more roadbase and compact again until it flat like a concrete slab and put the river sand. (I am not sure if it will work but it will cost since the big compact won't fit in my car and will need to arrange the delivery and will also need to pay for more roadbase and sand)

2. I don't have the concrete garden edging anymore. So do I need to do the formwork to cover the plastic garden edging?

Any advice would be appreciated. I am a bit lost. :smile: 

IMG_20231224_112038.jpg

IMG_20231224_111833.jpg

  

IMG_20231220_121339.jpg

IMG_20231224_111902.jpg

Thank you, guys. 

Edited: I edited to make my question shorter. 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: how to fix if the base prep for pavers went wrong?

Hi @michaelsync 

I got to say I think you doing  most of the rigth things sorry is  going a little pear shaped  for you.

Try  reviewing  this link  against what you are doing and  see if you can regain some confidance in your DIY project.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/garden/lawn/howturf-to-lay-synthetic-

Thank you, @Jewelleryrescue 

The step #1 from this link said that it is important to make sure the ground is smooth and flat

My ground is not smooth and flat. I already compacted two layers of road base and lay the sand. But it is not smooth or flag. 

How can I fix it? Do you think the method that I mentioned in my question #1 could work? I am not sure if it is still fixable or not. Thanks. 

Thanks.

Hi @michaelsync 

The compacted road base you did is great the sand will sit on top . I think it is fixable revisit your  job pull out as many lumpy bits as you can on the surface dont go digging lumps out unless you have to.  Maybe a light leave rake will work best here. Then add more River sand  or brickies sand 30mm  deep to cover gravel ( with out disturbing the under gravel) it must become smooth and flat its the nature of sand naturally rake it out even I might be tempted to wet the area to help the sand settle faster using  a spray not jet  nozzle setting. The sand must settle flat with out the need for compaction

I have a sand pile outside and the rain is starting to naturally level it and make it smooth and even. with no lumps if the sand clean and it sets with a hard skin  when dry like the effect you want.  I dont fully understand  why what you have done hasnt acheive this already.

Try watering the sand down if the recent rains havnt done this already is there a good improvement?  before you add more sand?

A  Great area your building. :smile: 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

So great advice there from @Jewelleryrescue, @michaelsync.

It's sound like you might just need to add some additional sand and spread it out to create a smooth and flat surface.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you, @Jewelleryrescue @MitchellMc 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects