Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gap between fence and back path?

Snels44
Finding My Feet

How to fill gap between fence and back path?

Recently my neighbour removed their back shed which made up part of my fence  so they had a new colourbond fence put in. It now has a gap of around 60mm between my fence and my back path and it tapers. There level is quite a bit lower (approx. 500-600mm) on the other side if I put anything down there it could wash away in the rain… any ideas on how best to fill it?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: gap between fence and my ground

Hi @Snels44 

Typically with color bond fences treated  pine sleeps slot inside the grooves of the insides of the color bond posts 600 mm sounds like a lot of height and really needs a retaining wall possibly.  But 3x  200mm x 50mm x. 2400mm sleepers per fence section will work too.

So  look at your colorbond fence posts under the fence bottom see the u shaped hollow there.  Thats where the timber slots into at each end  normally these are put in before the  top part is assembled as they need to fall into place down the full channel length.

So that opens a can of worms for you how do you slot those timbers into place and will you neibour share those costs.?  How will you partly dismantle fence to install them?

Plan B  using  lengths  of villaboard a cement like board /sheet like  product you maybe able to dig on your fence side and put a sheet of this in on your side and then re piling dirt against it. No  need to a fix to  fence as ground  wieght will hold it in place but I might  use  metal screws to tack vilawood to the bottom rail to hold it level and neat.   Measure your post spacings your villaboard needs to over lap posts for nest results. Cut this in half for 600mm or 500mm what ever you need. 2700mm lengths avaliable too.

James Hardie 2400 x 1200 x 9mm 2.88sqm Villaboard FC Lining I/N: 0710772 $105.45

Use  a villawood knife score and snap to cut villaboard 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fill gap between fence and back path?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Snels44. We're delighted to have you join us and hope you find our site a handy resource for all your home improvement and garden projects.

Thanks for your question. Can I please request you to post some photos of the gap between the fence and your back path as well as the surrounding area? This will help our members and resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts like @MitchellMc get a better idea of what is required and enable them to provide more helpful advice. 

Let me know if you need a hand posting photos. Happy to assist.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

All fixed thanks heaps for your help

IMG_6300.jpeg

IMG_6299.jpeg

Great job @Snels44   looks  very neat and tidy.  Thanks  for post job photo it is  the perfect way to use color bond post channels.

You would never know theres drop off on the other side. :smile:

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fill gap between fence and back path?

I agree with @Jewelleryrescue - you've done a terrific job of filling that gap, @Snels44. Many thanks for coming back to provide an update and sharing those photos.

Looking forward to seeing what you tackle next.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects