Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix broken wooden fence post?

hollymaya
Just Starting Out

How to fix broken wooden fence post?

Hi all

with bad storm we had our front fence gate snapped off the hinges and came flying off 

any hot tips on how to DIY fix this??

thanks

IMG_8052.jpeg

IMG_8053.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: broken wooden fence post

Hello @hollymaya 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about repairing your fence post.

If this was not a weight bearing structure, then it would be possible to fix it cosmetically. Technically the post is doing double duty holding the fence and the dynamic forces of the gate. I recommend changing the post entirely to make sure that it can hold the fence and gate safely. 

I propose having a look at the 100 x 100mm 2.4m Post H4 Treated Pine Wet CCA - 2.4m. Please make sure to measure your existing post to make sure that it is the same size. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @DIY4Knuckleheds for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIY4Knuckleheds
Making a Splash

Re: broken wooden fence post

G'day. Unfortunately l'm in the same camp as Eric. It looks like you are going to need to replace that post if you want the job done correctly.

You could, in a pinch, cut out the effected areas by running your circular saw down the length of the post and then fill in the cut out area with the same type of wood. Having said that, It looks like a nice fence most likely leading to a nice property so it would be a shame to have a post that looked patched. 

Good luck 👍

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to fix broken wooden fence post?

Morning @hollymaya 

"Insert word here" ... ugh, annoying but maybe a fix.. Maybe.

I agree with @EricL  and @DIY4Knuckleheds over their thinking. A fence post doubling as a gate post will put a lot of strain on the fence even if the post was in 100% condition.

What is the post set into? If possible could another post for the gate alone be put next to it?

I was thinking of using Polyfilla 450g Exterior Timber Filler and rebuilding the post to "look" the same. but if a second post for the gate alone can be put in all the better.

You could "face" the post with a new timber piece to make it look nice again with the second post behind it. That way One post does the fence and One post does the gate. If you used the timbermate first and then faced the post. You could potentially put bolts all the way through the fence post, timbermate and the face piece for the hinges to the gate.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects