Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix broken decking?

pes
Finding My Feet

How to fix broken decking?

Hi,

I'm trying to fix this broken decking. New to this work but keen to get it done myself. Can someone suggests details on how I could get this done or resources.

Thanks you!WhatsApp Image 2023-09-19 at 12.47.43 PM (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-09-19 at 12.47.43 PM.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fix broken decking

Hi @pes,

Good on you for giving this project a go. Unfortunately, I suspect there will be some damaged structural elements to the deck, and the repair will be significantly more than just replacing decking boards, which can be done by just about anyone. See how the boards have snapped right where they are nailed? They would have been fixed into a joist that runs perpendicular to them. Since they snapped at that point and not in between joists, it indicates to me that the joist has likely decayed, requiring all the boards to be pulled off in this area and the joist replaced. At the same time, you'll need to assess the rest of the deck for similar issues.

It's a bit hard to tell from the images, but how high off the ground is this deck? I presume it's relatively low-level, but be careful, as if the deck joists have failed, the entire area could collapse. It's best to call in the professionals if it is an elevated deck.

If it's a low-level deck, you can start by removing those broken boards so we can have a better look at what's going on underneath. Post some pictures when you do. A wrecking bar will come in handy when pulling the boards up.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Fix broken decking

Hi @pes,

Just to add to Mitch's helpful reply, we have a guide for decks in need of serious repair by experienced Workshop member @Adam_W. Check out How to renovate a timber deck. I hope it helps give you a better understanding of the scope of work that might be required. 

We look forward to seeing more photos of your deck and assisting further.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects