Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fasten webbing over a steel chair frame?

nonsibicunctis
Building a Reputation

How to fasten webbing over a steel chair frame?

I have a couple of outdoor garden chair frames that were originally covered with woven 'plastic' of some sort.  Over the years it fell apart.

I hate waste and so recycle what I can.  The metal chair frames are o.k. save for needing a little rust removed and a repaint.  So I want to cover them to make them usable again.

My thoughts have been to use webbing in vertical and horizontal interwoven lengths effectively giving a checkerboard seat and back on the frames.  This is my preference but I'm unsure as to how I would be able to fasten each end of the webbing strips together so that they are effectively just 'loops' stretched over the frame - or, alternatively, whether I ought to drill and screw into the frames - an option I don't particularly want to use. 

I wonder if there are any sorts of fasteners that could join two webbing ends  together securely and with enough strength to hold firmly with the weight of someone sitting on the webbing once fully installed?

Two other options I've considered and someone may be able to advise on whether appropriate or not:

* Make back and seat sections from wood to suit the shape of the frame and screw them on, then use waterproof outdoor cushioning to give more comfort ... or something of the sort.

or

* I have several old but sound outdoor window blinds and it may be that I could use the fabric from those to drape and fasten over the chair frames.  Again, however, I would need some means of securing it.

If anyone can enlighten me or suggest an alternative solution that would not be too costly, I'd appreciate it, indeed any help at all with this.  Thanks.IMG_1062.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fasten webbing over a steel chair frame?

Hi @nonsibicunctis 

Would you happen to have a picture of the webbing strips you'll be using? I'm just curious to know what kind of material it is. Is it weatherproof or is it just ordinary thick fabric? Using a timber panel is definitely an option as you can attach it to the steel frame with steel saddles. This will save you from having to drill into the steel frame. You'll also have the option of either leaving the timber as is and just painting it with polyurethane or upholstering it.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let me know.  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nonsibicunctis
Building a Reputation

The webbing I have at the moment is the sort used for work with plants.  It is 25mm wide.  However, I probably would have to buy more to have enough for the job so I had intended to investigate what is available and what might be best to use.  I'd welcome any advice in that regard.

If I do user timber I'm not sure of what thickness I would need and if it ought to be hardwood or a cheaper softwood such as pine or something else would do the job.  I'm also not sure whether there is anything that I could use which is available in a panel form so that I could out the back and the seat as just two pieces and not have to join narrow boards.

The curves are also a concern for me if I use wood.  I do have a fret saw so perhaps that would allow me to cut them reasonably though I'm not good at anything so cutting curves worries me.

I also have to consider cost of materials and that's why I considered webbing or the blind cloth, though fastening that may be costly and I'm not sure how to do it.

I suppose, in other words, perhaps I've bitten off more than I can chew and I don't want to bother anyone.  I just thought it may be worth asking as so many people here, both Bunnings staff and others, have an enormous collective experience and seem very willing to share their thoughts and ideas.

Thank you for getting back to me.

Take care. Stay safe.

rogr

Hi @nonsibicunctis 

Thanks for the additional information regarding the webbing. I suggest having a look at using Grunt 50mm x 25m Jute Webbing. It has a breaking strength of 180kg, which means that it can easily hold an adult person's weight. 

I propose doing a traditional weave of the jute webbing around the tube frame going below and above each other. I suggest anchoring the start with some heavy duty sewing to allow you to weave the jute webbing tightly. I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of how you could weave the jute webbing. When you reach the end of the weave, I recommend anchoring it with more sewing using very thick thread.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects