Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make use of narrow sideway?

strandsik
Just Starting Out

How to make use of narrow sideway?

01F5B081-7172-4FFA-BECB-27CF4DEEC32E.jpeg

AB7CC47E-651B-4A20-9897-F6238BD329DE.jpeg

Hi all,

We will be moving into our new build and seeking some ideas for this dead space at the rear of our property. The retaining is about a metre or so above ground, and slope down until it reaches ground level. There is 40cm gap between the house and the retaining which I’m afraid my pool water when it rains and affect the slab long term. 
Our neighbour also has a large tree that falls into our yard, so need something that can be easily cleaned.

Any ideas??

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make use of narrow sideway?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @strandsik. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about using a narrow passage.

You might like to start by checking out this article: Ideas to revamp your side yard. One simple idea to improve the look of the space would be to lay some weed matting, then some stepping stone pavers and surround them with large pebbles. With large pebbles, you can blow off the leaves without disturbing them. Also, some screening panels down the fence line would look terrific!

It's great to hear you've identified the potential drainage issue. Do you happen to know if any drain coil was installed at the base of the retaining wall? If so, then it would be diverting rainwater to your stormwater. Without it, though, I share some concerns about the area between the house and the retaining wall filling with water. What has been your experience so far when it rains? Does water pool in that area?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc really awesome suggestions. Will take them up. Spoke to the 

The Construction Manager has had a look at the Site Classification and as it is an A Class site (sandy) drainage it is not concerning.

The downpipes will direct rain to the soakwells, and the wall is higher than the sand on the high side of it so water should not be an issue there.

One thing I would like to know is how do I choose the right material to use as a barrier to fend off the leaves falling into the gutter and yard on that side.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @strandsik,

We have a variety of gutter mesh that can be installed in your gutters to prevent the leaves from building up in them. I'd recommend you consider some of the aluminium mesh types that will far outlast the plastic variety.

The leaf litter falling onto your side of the yard might be a little more difficult to deal with. I can't imagine you'd be able to stop the leaves from falling in unless you were to install some type of screening or netting between your fascia and the top of the fence. Perhaps you could consider shadecloth. I'm not sure when the last time the leaves were cleaned up, but there doesn't appear to be a huge quantity of them there at the moment. I'd suggest you grab a blower vacuum and suck them up every couple of weeks.

Mitchell 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects