Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to extend the height of drain grate?

foxhound
Growing in Experience

How to extend the height of drain grate?

Hi, I have recently got synthetic turf installed, drain grates were installed by the landscaper but they are very deep down as compared to the turf level. I understand it can't be levelled to allow the flow of water but these are almost 4inch under and could be a trip hazard for kids. I am wanting to extend the length of these grates and would love some opinions from the experts. Pictures attached.

20230725_152303.jpg

20230725_152248.jpg

20230725_145152.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Extend the height of drain grate.

Hello @foxhound 

In order to extend the height of your drain gate, I suggest extending the existing pipe in the ground. It will be necessary to remove the low-level pit so that you can measure the size of the pipe and purchase an extender. Please note that if the landscaper has glued the pit in place, it will not be possible to remove the pit without destroying it. 

Would it be possible for you to post the measurement of the pit? This will give me an idea of what kind of drain pit is in your garden, I'll then be able to make a recommendation on what you can use to replace it with.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let me know,

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
foxhound
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric yes it has been sealed.

Do you know of any drain cover wide enough that i can use on my existing pit. Please find images attached.

20230730_104540.jpg

20230730_104521.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @foxhound,

The top of the grate is in line with the bottom of the grass backing mat which is sitting on the ground, and this is where it should be. The only thing above the grate level is the grass blades. Any amount you move the grate up is the same amount of water that will then be allowed to pool in your yard. So, say you lifted the grate 2cm up, you should then expect 2cm of standing water in your backyard in downpours. You couldn't move it 4cm up to be in line with the top of the grass blades as the grass blades compress under weight, and the grate won't, so any kids running along will trip over the proud grate.

If anything, you might be able to move the grate up 1-1.5cm, but any higher than that and you will cause a definite trip hazard/toe stubber and create drainage issues. Unfortunately, surface grates within turfed areas are always lower than the grass blades as they need to sit flush with the surrounding soil level.

Did you have a spare section of grass that you could cut a suitably sized square out of to place over the grate when the kids are playing or no storms are forecast?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

foxhound
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell that explains a lot. 

I will cut a grass section and use it to cover it or is there any drain cover i could use just wide enough to sit just under the top of grasd blades ?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @foxhound 

Just to add to your idea, I suggest using cable ties to keep the grass section attached to the top of the grill itself. Since the artificial turf is permeable it will allow water to slowly pass through. In case you wish to add more holes to the turf, I recommend using a craft knife to cut some lines into the turf to allow water to pass through even faster.

I don't recommend using any other type of cover as this will impede the flow of water.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects