Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gap under boundary fence?

KimNorman
Growing in Experience

How to fill gap under boundary fence?

Would love suggestions!

My boundary fence has a gap both next to and below the fence, and unfortunately my dog and my neighbours dog have ‘fence wars’ because of it.

The gap under the fence varies  as the property is slanted and previous owner just used bricks which have started to shift as both dogs try to dig under (there’s a side garden that’s pretty dug up and useless to be honest).

The gap between my driveway and fence and about 4-5cm but changes as the driveway thins.

I was considering doing a ‘double fence’ (decorative fence over the top of the colorbond), but didn’t want spiders and bugs to then live between the two but still an option).

Does anyone have any other recommendations on how to seal up these gaps and what materials to use?

(Between driveway and fence gap)

IMG_0025.jpeg

IMG_0023.jpeg

(Garden bed next to fence, dogs digging up)

image.jpg

Note: My dog is also being trained that it is unacceptable however when we’re not home he’s quick to return to old habits!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill gap under boundary fence

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @KimNorman. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about filling a gap in a fence.

You could attach sleepers to the bottom of the fence the entire way along. These can be secured and screwed into the fence's upright posts. Perhaps blocking the view will be enough to stop your pup from digging in the garden bed. However, I suspect they might also be doing that for fun and not just to try and get next door. Perhaps you could lay pavers in front of the sleepers, so at least 30cm from the fenceline cannot be dug. Or, you could lay sleepers on their face in front of the ones you attach to the fence. Adding trench mesh slightly under the soil could also be a solution.

You might like to check out these previous discussions: How to stop dog from digging underneath a fence and How to block off holes underneath fence. Perhaps you could invest in something like this Dog digging patch so your furry friend has something to keep them occupied whilst you're out.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KimNorman
Growing in Experience

Thank you so much for the help! This sounds like a great plan!

I was thinking of filling in the garden bed with white decorative stone but I’m not sure how that works with drainage? And i’d hate to flood my neighbours yard when it rains haha

Would it be layered like;

- Soil

- Weed mat

- Trench mesh

- White decorative stones

?

Adding white decorative stones sounds like a great idea @KimNorman. Your layer order sounds right, and I can't see how the drainage situation would change by adding the pebbles. The rains will seep through the pebbles and weedmat just as it did before with the soil.

Mitchell

KimNorman
Growing in Experience

Amazing thank you! I have just one more question so sorry!

What tools and screws would I need to attach to the fence? Do I need a pretty good drill to get them into the colorbond posts?

For 50mm thick sleepers, these Zenith 12G x 65mm Galvanised Hex Head Metal Screws will be suitable @KimNorman. Remember to screw the sleeper into the upright fence posts, not the sheeting; otherwise, their tips will penetrate the neighbour's side. The screws will self-drill into the steel posts, but you might like to predrill the sleeper with a 4mm drill bit. A standard drill will do the job, and you'll need a 5/16 nut setter bit to suit the head on the metal screws.

Now that I've said all that, there's actually a slightly easier solution than the sleepers. You could use these 150 x 25mm 4.8m Plinth H4 Treated Pine Sawn Wet. They'll do the same job, just half the thickness. To use these, just reduce the metal screw slightly to these Zenith 12G x 35mm Galvanised Hex Head Metal Screws.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects