Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose smart outdoor lighting?

RajB
Getting Established

How to choose smart outdoor lighting?

Can I get some advice please on what options I have for smart outdoor lighting? I have outdoor facade lights (GU10) on a six gang switch plate and I am looking for some smart options so they can be programmed to switch on at sunset and switch off at sunrise. I am reading up options and need help deciding whether I need a smart switch (e.g. Clipsal), a smart bulb (e.g. Philips Hue) or an inline smart switch device (e.g. Shelley). 

Inside the house, I am using Arlec smart plugs with the Tuya app.

Any help I can get is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Smart options for outdoor lighting

Hi @RajB

I ask you  to trust me a bit here because trying to understand all the options here is mind  blowing. 

As a guide there are google and alexa and others all competeing to control our house hold devices  so not all devices  like your Arlec smart plugs will work with every option.

So I recommend Google Nest setup as it talks to a huge range of devices  pretty easialy. Google Nest combined with Google assistant the app) dose all those programming routines for sunset  and sunrise etc, 

I am 99% sure  googles  talks to tuyla and arlec smart plugs, phillips and clipsal

To  answer your question

So If you Stick  with (google nest ) as  your smart home base  now when you are shopping for devices your looking for compatable google devices.

It no point  buying  XYZ  if it doesnt work with google.  Slowly more and more devices work with most platforms  but make sure all your new devices work with  Google at least for now.

You  may  choose Alexa   great now  just makesure  your devices talk to Alexa's.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to choose smart outdoor lighting?

Hello again @RajB

Great to see you've received advice from @Jewelleryrescue on how to choose smart lighting for your outdoor areas. Let me also tag @CSParnell to see if they have any thoughts. 

While waiting, you might also like to read the Bunnings guide How to choose smart garden lighting in case it helps.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@RajB @Akanksha @Jewelleryrescue 

The Arlec Grid Connect (Tuya Rebrand) GU10 globes work just fine with Google Home and Alexa

Grid Connect 

, Mirabella Genio (Tuya Rebrand) GU10 work just fine with Google and Alexa 

Wiz GU10 works with Google and Alexa

Wiz

All have their own apps the first 2 you can also use with Tuya Home or Smart Life. 

If you want them automated then you need to keep your inside switch on that supplies the power so put some tape on it so it doesn't get switched off. If you want auto switch on as well then add a motion sensor into the equation.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/orion-grid-connect-smart-security-motion-sensor_p0261690?store=8201&gad_...

DIYGnome
Building a Reputation

Hello @RajB you have already received some excellent advice regarding compatibility of the various products and smart device Apps... but had you considered an independent stand alone solution? 

I run 2 parallel motion sensing light systems. one solar, one hardwired into the home but have found the Arlec 5w Integrated Solar lights to be quite versatile, using a built in light sensor they turn on at dusk & off around sunrise but best of all they can be installed anywhere and require no wiring, it just depends on how much light you require as their "night light" mode is adequate to light up a small area but kicks into 500Lm on being triggered. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-5w-integrated-solar-powered-sensor-led-floodlight_p0056859

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to see the excellent solutions provided here by our knowledgeable members @RajB.

I trust they've answered your question, but please do let us know if you require further assistance. Remember, any hardwired solutions require an electrician to install.

Mitchell

Re: Smart options for outdoor lighting

@JewelleryrescueI haven't thought about Google Nest but will read up on it now. I have a Google assistant at home so Google Nest should play well with that. Thanks for letting me know.

RajB
Getting Established

@DIYGnomethanks! You just solved a problem I have with a different area in my backyard that needs lighting up.

@CSParnellthanks heaps! Much appreciated.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @RajB,

How is your outdoor lighting project coming along?

It would be great to get an update when you've put a system together as there's plenty of interest in smart lighting solutions from our community members. 

Please also let us know if we can assist further. 

All the best,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects