Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fix broken downpipe connections?

zmitty
Finding My Feet

How do I fix broken downpipe connections?

Hi All, I have 2 broken downpipes (see photos) at the connection to the stormwater, just after any

20240117_171810.jpg

20240117_171827.jpg

advice on what connections and how best to tackle this problem.

Thanks for any help

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I fix broken downpipe connections?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @zmitty. We trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration from our clever and creative members for all your projects around the house and garden. 

I imagine the first thing that members will stress here is that in many locations, a licensed plumber or roof drainage expert is required to perform this work, so we would recommend you enlist their services to perform the repair.

Let me tag some experienced members to share their thoughts: @Jewelleryrescue@JDE and @tom_builds.

One of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will also be happy to assist as soon as possible.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @zmitty 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about fixing your down pipes.  

It looks like your down pipe has been damaged by a whipper snipper. If it has, I have a suggestion for that as well. 

In order to repair your down pipe, you'll need the following:

The general steps to repair are to cut off the the broken piece with a saw. It's best to cut it as close as you can to the point where the bend joins the pipe. Next you need to duplicate the old assembly with the parts that you have. Remember to scuff the outer edges with sandpaper to remove the gloss finish on its surface so that the glue will anchor on it properly.

The sequence will be the downpipe adaptor first (the one with a square to round fitting) followed by the 45degree elbow (it will only fit one way as it is a male to female piece). You then need to cut a bit of PVC pipe to make up for the difference. The final piece will be storm coupling that joins the pipes together. I strongly recommend doing a test fitting first with no glue so that you can estimate the final position of the downpipe fitting.

Once you are satisfied with its position you can then glue the pieces together and fix it into its final position. 

To protect your new downpipe assembly, I suggest using Selleys 415g Liquid Nails Landscape Stone Concrete Adhesive. It's an adhesive that will work on masonry. I also recommend using four pieces of the Brighton Masonry 200 x 100 x 50mm Cream Mypave Paver. Use the adhesive to join the pavers together in a "U" shape configuration. Once the glue cures place it in front of the down pipe and now you have a barrier against your whipper snipper.

I also recommend having a look at this discussion - Protecting downpipes by @ivanptr.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey Eric thanks so much super helpful!!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects