Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a retaining wall?

Coryneedshelp
Finding My Feet

How to build a retaining wall?

Hello!

Just seeking advice on how to best complete a small retaining wall at the front of my property.  The wall I am hoping will help level out a small part on the corner of my block, enough to permit the next project, a bin cubby.

The wall is only one sleeper high and as you can see in the images, spans just over the length of the one sleeper.  I am looking for ideas on how to complete the wall, ideally with the last part having a channel to feed the AG pipe.  Do I cut a sleeper? Lay a mould and poor my own block?  Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

IMG_4586.jpegIMG_4587.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a retaining wall?

Hello @Coryneedshelp 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about building a retaining wall.

Technically it would be faster and easier to cut the timber sleeper, but if you want to use concrete you would need to build formwork to hold the concrete while it cures. The plus side of course is that you can build in whatever PVC parts you want to put in.

Please note that the finish of the concrete will be different from your current sleeper and will be noticeable.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @JacobZ95 for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Hi @Coryneedshelp,

I think, based purely on aesthetics cutting a matching sleeper would give a nicer finish but certainly requires some pretty heavy duty equipment that the average diyer wouldn’t own. If you wanted to go down this route I could definitely advise what tools you would need. 

I think the best way to accomplish this might be to build a mould and pour your own mini-sleeper with the pvc pipe in place so the hole is cast into the sleeper. 

I’d smooth the concrete while still wet, then when it has gone off a bit, use a pointing tool such as Kango 10mm-13mm Brick Jointer to try to emulate the finish of your other sleepers.

What do you think?

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @Coryneedshelp 

First up Id like to welcome you to the Bunnings Community :smile: Its pretty nice in here with so many ideas and inspirations its not funny!

Why is it we always need a little bit more :smile: I would love to sugest Gabion walls but reading what you want there may be an easier solution.

Looking at your retianing wall and ag pipe, just to the right of it is the sandstone piece that caught my eye :smile:

Are the metal posts secured into the ground so you can pull them out? (Crossing fingers at least the single one can come out)

If it can come out, then you could potentiall tale that sandstone rock and stand it pointy end downwards over the ag pipe area. It will fit in asthetically with the sandstone rocks behind it. Hopefully vlend the corner in.

If the metal posts cant be removed and you have a spare sandstone piece available, you could potentialy trim a piece down using a cold chisel and 5 pound hammer. I have done that when I was breaking down large rocks for my gabion walls. 

Other then that I like @JacobZ95's idea, It may be fiddly but would probarly be easier then trimming a full sized concrete sleeper down with a grinder and then trimminng the width to fit in the slot. I think it would look a lot tider.

Dave

Coryneedshelp
Finding My Feet

Thank you @EricL @JacobZ95 and @Dave-1!  Really appreciate you all weighing in and guiding an otherwise lost cause!

I ended up attempting the 'mini-sleeper' with a mould fashioned from cutoff around the house.  Ultimately, I am actually quite happy with the end product and hoping that it will be fit for purpose (time will tell).  I didn't attempt exercising my artistic flair on trying to emulate the grain pattern - I am hopeful the lily pillys will help screen off any keen eyes!

BM1.jpgBM2.jpgBM3.jpgBM4.jpg

Thank you all again.

Cory 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Coryneedshelp 

Love it! :laugh:

It looks professional and blends in nicely. Definently a worthwhile project. Make me want to go out and landscape stuff lol

Dave

Love it @Coryneedshelp! You've done a fantastic job, and as @Dave-1 mentioned, it looks entirely professional.

Many thanks for sharing your results with us.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Looks great @Coryneedshelp!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects