Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove paint from outdoor glazed tile?

smiller
Finding My Feet

How to remove paint from outdoor glazed tile?

Hi everyone, the previous owners of our house painted the front (outdoor) verandah tile using Dulux Renovation Range Floor (interior) tile paint with satin finish.

How might I remove the paint from this type of outdoor tile? I would love to restore them to their former glory!

I've attached images of the front verandah where the paint is chipping, as well as some tiles that weren't painted.

IMG_5439.jpeg

IMG_5442.jpeg

  

Thank you :smile:

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to remove paint from outdoor glazed tile?

Afternoon @smiller 

Perfect weekend t have a stroll through the community pages :smile: Welcome! 

I would sugget a high pressure water blaster and taking your time over it. The paint is lifting alrady so hopefully you can remove the rest. Keeping the glaze on the old school tiles is my main concern so I wouldnt be using a iwre brush or drill attachment.

Note

Saftey Googles!

Paint flecks will go everywhere! I am yet to figure out how to do an area and keep it all in one space :smile: Just did my patio and also the wall next to my pool. It works but the mess afterwards is something to factor in.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @smiller. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing paint from tiles.

As @Dave-1 mentioned, I'd recommend first blasting as much paint off as possible, and you want to stay away from anything abrasive. You could try some paint stripper on a small test area to see if that will easily lift the paint. Unfortunately, it will be a messy business, so please wear PPE, including a long-sleeved shirt and trousers, a facemask, eye protection, and rubber gloves.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for your suggestion, Dave! Have just given the pressure washer a try (wearing all appropriate PPE of course!) and it's working quite well. There's a few tiles where not all of the paint is lifting with the washer alone, so may try some paint stripper later on as Mitchell suggested.

Paint flecks definitely do go everywhere! Worth it for the end result in my opinion :smile:

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

:smile: @smiller 

Pretty much what I ended up deciding for the wall next to my pool :smile: Worth it!

With the paint stripper, maybe try it on an out of the way tile just in case first. Just to check if it wants to etech the surface )most prob wont) but err on the side of caution.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects