Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a phone booth?

harmonyrk
Finding My Feet

How to build a phone booth?

IMG_5461.jpeg

Hey!

I’m wanting to start a project to build a phone booth for an event in a few months time. I’m not sure how to approach it and what material would be best?  (I have all required tools) 

Any help would be much appreciated!

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How should I approach this?

Evening @harmonyrk 

Mmmmm I was going to jump in straight away and descrivbe how to build a box :smile: Then I googled "how to" and realsied there are a few questions that would help lead you down the right path.

Do you want people to be able to walk into/sit inside the booth?

Is there a Budget?

What type of Camera setup are you going to have? Will it be a phone type deal or a fixed camera on a tripod/or hidden in an old school box?

Can the walls of the booth be a material such as a sheet or calico cloth?

Inside venue or outside? (Thinking more of rain issues and wind)

Now to throw my two bobs thoughts in even tho I have no specs :smile:

I am thinking of three rectangular panels about the size of 900mm by 2000mm with a couple of diagonal braces from one corner to the other. 

The Pin hinges I am thinking of Goliath Sideboard Right Hand Hinge Kit  so the three seperate frame scan be joined at the edges. (Maybe 3-4 hinges per edge, so 8 hinges all up)

The timber size I am thinking of is Porta 42 x 42mm 2.4m DAR Square General Purpose Pine 

You could use joining brackets if you are unsure of how to join the corners nicely.  corner bracket 

Picture a privacy screen for changing type look. You could have another brace just across the top between the front sides that can be placed over the framework sides when its standing to give stability and the feeling of a box, or you can actually make it larger by not keeping it as a box but have the two sides open wider. For the "walls" you could staple the material to the outside or inside depending. I would make up the three pieces and do the sides before putting the frame together tho.

To stop it blowing in the wind or stability issues, door stoppers thrown over the base of the frames would help. Adoored Black Fabric Door Stop 

Dave

Thanks Dave! 
I realised I’ve said “Photo Booth” I meant phone booth. No one will be going inside it and the phone  that will be attached will be a prop. I’m mainly making it to show case my floristry skills for a final piece. Something like this image.

It will be inside, no budget but to keep it as cheap as possible. 

IMG_5460.jpeg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @harmonyrk 

hahahahah :laugh: Well the three panel idea still works, just different support instead of diagonal truss you have  four horizontals. The rear panel can be something like this 2440 x 1220mm 3mm Plywood Pine Premium BC Grade (mostly for the lightness in weight) and as soon as its screwed to that back plane it will lock it steady.

The pieces I have used as examples may be a little dear. If you take a wander through the interieor section of timber some pine pieces will be a lot cheaper to use. If you are confidant of ripping a piece of timber down the center or hav access to a bench saw then you could save a lot more as well.

(I need a bench saw! :smile: )

I keep picturing superman jumping outa the front! lol

Dave

Thank you so much! 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @harmonyrk. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a phone booth.

It's great to see that @Dave-1 has already been offering assistance.

For your project, I would suggest using 42 x19mm, 89 x 19mm and 140 x19mm DAR Pine timber. You'll also need a plywood or MDF board for the roof and base. I've created a rendering for you below, which should help with the assembly. 

If you were going to paint the unit, you could potentially make the sides from MDF board and cut out the windows from it. So, instead of assembling all the individual timbers for the sides, you'd just cut rectangles out of the board to imitate that look.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects