Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level deck over tiled floor?

tarun1arora
Getting Established

How to build a low-level deck over tiled floor?

Hi,

I would like to cover my alfresco with a low clearance deck on tile but I don't have much height to work with. The maximum clearance is 30mm, any suggestions on how to make a deck? I would like to us Merbau as the decking which itself is 19mm,how will i get the frame?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low clearance deck on tiled floor

Hello @tarun1arora, 

Thanks for sharing your question about building a low clearance decking. I'm sorry but the space of 30mm is just not enough space to build a low-level deck. As you mentioned earlier the decking panel is already 19mm thick which would leave you with 12mm of space which is not enough for a timber frame.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the alfresco area? This will give our members a chance to assess the location. We can then make recommendations on possible alternatives.

If you need a hand posting the photo, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tarun1arora
Getting Established

Thanks for the reply Eric, I went again to my house (as it's under construction). And it's not that bad as it is 50mm instead of 30mm. Please see the photos attached (ignore the dirt as it is under construction).

20231019_155855.jpg

20231019_155847.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tarun1arora 

I'm so sorry, but 50mm is still not enough space to put in a low-level deck. If for example, you were to use 70mm x 35mm timber H3 framing and turned it on its side with the 70mm facing up, when added to the 19mm decking panel you would end up with 54mm with no air gap underneath.

Because the assembled deck is 4mm above the allowable space it now becomes a tripping hazard for anyone walking outside to the deck. Placing the timber frame in direct contact with the tiles is not recommended. A decking frames number one enemy is trapped moisture. Moisture will get trapped between the timber and the tiles, this will lead to accelerated decay and instead of your deck lasting 10 years, you'll start to see it deteriorating in 5 years.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.    

Eric

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @tarun1arora 

Welcome to the community :smile: Hopefully you will find a bunch of intersting things in here :smile:

Not a lot ofd space to work with I must admit 😕 I agree with @EricL that there isnt much space for a proper deck build.

Good side tho there are other products that may match what you want to do.

I just googled "Clip together timber tiles" as I have seen them at a few places over the years. Ikea was the first instant I came across for an outside area.

Ikea - runnen floor decking outdoor brown stained (These dont look like they have drainage under the timber)

Simply Wood - deck tiles (These look better as they allow drainage under the timber.)

Bunnings - Mmm I am sure i have seen them in teh past but couldnt find them.

These may get you out of trouble with that low height. I dont think they will last for a long time and havnt found a "length of life" true reference.

Dave

Thanks Dave and Eric, trying to achieve the full deck as I will extend it to the backyard as well. I was looking and doing my research and came across plastic frame on which the decking can be layed but in US, don't we have some thing similar here in Australia? Below is the link

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/outside--4433299625236118/

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tarun1arora,

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any available products that would be similar. Perhaps you could transition from your tiled area onto a deck after them. As @EricL has pointed out, there's just not enough room for a traditional deck here. Even in situations with at least 80mm of available height, it's still questionable whether installing a deck would be a long-lasting solution.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @tarun1arora 

😕 I havnt heard of anything like that. If it was just that area you showed in the picture then those clip together type deals could work. Extending it onto a non concrete flat surface would be very problomatic.

Is the ground level with teh concret patio? and can you give a photo of the overall area so we can maybe come up with some ideas?

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects