Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a cubby house base?

julesco
Getting Established

How to build a cubby house base?

Hello community, 👋

I’d like to preface my post by saying that I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing so I’d really appreciate any help offered! 😬

We’d like to assemble the Bunnings Numbat Cubby house:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/play-equipment-numbat-cubby-house-w2016-_p0279763

We require a platform/ base? for it to stand on. It does not come with flooring. The yard is very uneven. We are removing an old sandpit from where the cubby house will go which is surrounded by logs from a previous garden bed. The cubby house might just fit within the logs but I’d prefer to place it on top or remove them if possible so the cubby house can sit flush with the grass on the higher slope of yard on the right side. If easy enough to manage, I’d like to add a step from the left side as it’s high off the ground and possibly another step from the front view, but I don’t know how as it is really uneven from the front.

Also, what type of coloured paint would allow it to withstand the elements and be safe for children?

I’ve read all previous cubby house posts and got some great ideas! …But I’m still not very confident with my level of experience (zero). In saying that, we are keen to have a go! 

(Front view) 

8D9E8A92-4D53-495B-81AF-5BBAF85CCB3E.jpeg

(Front view again)

F783CA93-7703-46CC-90AC-623C2FB16FB9.jpeg

(Left side, high off the ground) 

6DEDC7FC-1E0A-49EC-8E52-AAEEB98A7C1A.jpeg

(Right side, lowest and closest to floor)

6877F1A9-93D6-49C5-B1E2-EB7511FDC24B.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a cubby house base?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @julesco. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a foundation for a cubby house.

I'm in two minds about removing the pine logs. Currently, they are establishing a flat plane that could be filled and the cubbyhouse placed on top. They're also retaining the surrounding soil. Perhaps you could remove the top course of logs to minimise its height. If you remove the logs altogether, there's not going to be anything to retain the soil, so you'd have to create a concrete pad or something for the cubby house to sit on. Otherwise, the soil will wash away, and you'll work with a sloped section again.

I'd recommend you remove the top layer of logs and reinforce the remaining ones with additional screws. You can then fill the inside with compacted soil or road base. Synthetic grass or rubber play mats can be used over that to provide a floor for the cubby. 

It doesn't matter for the steps that you have sloped ground. Just create a timber frame for them and clad over with decking. The actual step will end up flat.

I've added a couple of renderings below that I created for you. One with fill and the other with pavers across the top. Hopefully, it should help illustrate the merits of retaining some of the logs. With the top logs removed, the cubby house should just about sit flush with the soil on the high side.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much for your advice! We have created the flooring and opted to pull out the top layer of logs as you suggested, which helped to keep it level and solid. From there we filled in the interior. Hope to include a photo of the final product 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great. Looking forward to seeing it @julesco.

Jason

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hello @julesco,

Hope you've been well. How has your cubby house base held up? We would love to see a recent photo of your cubby house if possible. 

Trust you've been getting good use out of the playhouse and have been enjoying it. 

Akanksha

julesco
Getting Established

IMG_8471.jpeg
Apologies for the late update. We ended up getting a different cubby house with larger dimensions. The base still doesn’t have the finishing touches but I doubt it ever will! So this has been the outcome! We kept the base and added support to keep it sturdy in the middle, as well as on the side as it overhangs with the larger cubby. Kiddo loves it. Now off to the next project!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @julesco 

Thank you so much for the update. That cubby house is much bigger than the base. I propose just keeping an eye out on the structure of the cubby house. Should you notice it leaning or part of the wall bending then that overhang will need support.  

It's good that your child is enjoying the cubby house and by the looks of it, morning tea is currently being made.

Eric

julesco
Getting Established

Definitely enjoying many meals in the new house. There are wooden supports on the far left where there is overhang of the original structure, which may not be so visible in the image due to lighting. There are vertical posts on the front, back and in the middle to the left, and it is very sturdy, but we will keep an eye out on it frequently. It’s mostly just not very aesthetic but it’s up and running.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects