Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do in this space next to pool?

julesco
Getting Established

What to do in this space next to pool?

IMG_8492.jpeg

IMG_8490.jpeg

Hi everyone, I’ve been looking at this space for MONTHS and can’t think of how to improve it?!! It was once filled with bushes and plants that had to be taken down due to large root size. The space is quite narrow and as the yard isn’t very big, I would be after some narrow looking ideas that sit flush with the pool fence? I was thinking of a raised garden bed? But the pool perimeter is curved so it would need to be custom made, and I’m not sure of my abilities! The ground there is currently filled with very large rocks that seem hard to remove, and the grass has started growing over it. However, I’m willing to try. I love how sweet peas creep and our child enjoys watering plants. 
I’d love to get some creative ideas! My brain is only summoning a circus monkey clapping cymbals as the moment! 🐒🎪

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What to do in this space next to pool?

Hi @julesco,

Regarding your raised garden bed idea, I would be very wary of building anything next to a pool fence without getting advice from your local council about your pool fencing regulations. Generally you don't want to put anything climbable next to a pool fence as youngsters could use it to get into the pool area. 

I look forward to seeing ideas from other Bunnings Workshop community members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
julesco
Getting Established

That’s correct! It’s probably only allows roughly 30 or 40cm from the ground, which is also slanted

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @julesco,

With the restrictions imposed due to the pool fence, it would be difficult to have a raised garden bed in this location. You could potentially turn the area into a little garden bed with small seasonal flowers by using garden edging to define it. Remember, though, that any plants within it can't be compacted to aid in climbing the structure and the bed/edging couldn't be built higher than the Pebblecrete surround of the pool.

As a general rule, you shouldn't have any object or climbable structure within 1000mm of the exterior of a pool fence; it's really a no-go zone. It might be best to contact your local council to determine the do's and don'ts for the area. I suspect their advice would be to keep the area clear. If it's unclear, it will be up to the individual inspector whether your project complies with regulations. In my situation, I have some Jasmin and soft ferns growing just outside the fence. Although they are not really climbable structures, I still need to ensure that they do not encroach on the restriction zone.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects