Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to adjust balustrade?

ransom1
Just Starting Out

How to adjust balustrade?

Hi we have just bought our first home. It was built in 1967, the ballustrade on the front stairs, is not high enough, and the gaps in the sides, are too wide. Would it be possible to build a simple new timber one, or cover the gaps with material, ?roofing iron ect ..?  And I would also need to raise the height of the original one to 1 metre,  if I left it there.

Thanks Paul.

Screenshot_20240122_181724.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: ballustrade adjustment

Hi @ransom1 

Consider  using some fancy metal screen  panel  attached to the outside of the metal  rails.  A rebuild will be tricky as a  plan B

Metal panel on its side near 1 meter tall just raise or lower it to suit.  And look  good to.  But will need some metal cutting. To shape  it.

Matrix 1800 x 900 x 6mm Charcoal Ferns Screen Panel

https://www.bunnings.com.au/matrix-1800-x-900-x-6mm-charcoal-ferns-screen-panel_p0092401

I/N: 0092401

$99

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to adjust balustrade?

Hello @ransom1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about balustrade height adjustment.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend having a look at the Matrix Panels in combination with Merbau Timber. The panels can be put at the side and you can use the Merbau timber as top and bottom rails. You can also use it as support highlights to keep the structure solid.

There is also the option of overlaying the steel structure with timber, but weight will need to be taken into consideration so that the steel rails will not bend out of shape.

Let me call on our experienced members @diy_hausdesigns and @homeinmelbourne for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects