Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add privacy to long front yard?

Trikyking
Just Starting Out

How to add privacy to long front yard?

I have a very long front yard and because it is on a secondary street, the fence height can only be 1.2m. Problem is that the people can see into the side/back yard. Any ideas on how to add privacy?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Very long front yard on secondary road

Evening @Trikyking 

Welcome to The bunnings Community page :smile: Take a stroll through some of the sections and I think you will be able to sort out the privacy issue for sure!

First up, any chance of a photo of the yard as is? It may give us some ideas on what you could do to create privacy. Also are you planning on installing any sheds/pagollas or outside areas down the fenceline?

We have seen people create several posts  along the fenceline with a higher screen just above the fenceline  (and next to the fenceline) to give privacy to windowed or deck areas from their neighbours, Fast growing bushes and small tress can also be factored in. One fruit tree of all things has really impressed me with the blocking abilit in summer is a Fig tree, its grown like crazy and looses its leaves during winter... 

I cant find the project I was hoping to show you but here is a similar one. It really came up nice and it is installed in a Pergola area. But you get the idea where you can have a higher section only of a screen of some type instead of a whole new secondary fence. Pergola privacy screen 

Will wait for a pic and maybe come up with some alternatives for you.

Dave

Hi @Trikyking 

As @Dave-1   suggested a row of plants is legal to grow. They  can be purly blockout or  spiny plants to for security etc.  Many  varieties to choose from let  the members  know you city /area you are in so plants  can be suggested.

Mean while  put up some  tempary long star peg posts and string shade cloth with maximum block out up to what ever height you wish. Naterally to shield your new plants  while they are growing.  I dont think  any one will complain about shade cloth that against your 1,2m fence,

Cost is not to high.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Trikyking 

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about adding privacy in your backyard.

It's great that you've received excellent suggestions from @Dave-1 and @Jewelleryrescue. They've just about covered most of the possible ways you can add coverage in your backyard. But before you put up anything permanent, I propose checking the rules and regulations of your local council regarding building a taller structure at the back of your fence.    

In regards to plants, I propose having a look at Bamboo Willowy - Bambusa multiplex cv Willowy. It can be trimmed and trained so that it covers the area neatly. It has a maximum growth height of 3 to 4 meters, but as I mentioned it can be trimmed down to the height you want. Bamboo is easy to manage and does not need a lot of care. Plus, once established is very hardy.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects