Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add a single seat swing to a second story deck?

Peterershaw
Finding My Feet

How to add a single seat swing to a second story deck?

 I would like to build a single seat swing to hang underneath our second story deck. My preference is to have the timber seat connected by 4 ropes so the seat is stable but would like it to convert into a single rope each side as it is more comfortable to hold onto. How do connect the rope so that it is not 4 ropes

IMG_9081.jpeg

IMG_9082.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add a single seat swing to a second story deck?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Peterershaw. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about mounting a swing seat.

Typically, you'll find manufacturers use a plastic fitting to turn the two ropes into one as seen on this Swing Slide Climb 380mm Timber Swing Seat. To accomplish something similar with rope, you'd likely have to run it through the seat and then splice it back into itself, as seen below. Due to the inherent risk involved with swings, I would encourage you to consider a pre-made swing seat unless you are confident in attempting a rope splice.

Let me mention @TedBear and @Dave-1 to see if they have any ideas.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi again @Peterershaw,

I thought I'd just add another note to mention that the beam you intend on attaching to was not designed to accommodate the weight and forces involved with a swing. Its job it to hold up the structure above. I'd encourage you to enlist the services of an engineer to assess the beam prior to attaching a swing to it. Better to be on the safe side.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you very much. I will get that reviewed before starting 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good evening @Peterershaw 

Id love a swing under my deck, I didnt do it as I know the forces involved :smile: Yeah I remember as kids going nuts swinging about and there are all sorts of lateral forces to contend with. Id definitely get an engineer even if you think the beam will hold it.

Bracing for the expected forces on your post would be a good thing to consider. front/back and sideways on the swing as a worst case.

Instead of joining the rope as @MitchellMc  suggested you could go down the track of a three hole piece of hardwood timber as the joining point. The small piece stood vertical so the two holes at the bottom to suit your rope are for the chair itself and the hole at the top is to be fastened to the beam above or preferably three branch :smile: I have done the threading before and it can be a bit hard to do. I wouldnt say I mastered it lol

You could also distribute the weight of the swing seat across multiple beams by attaching timber across several and then your swing seat to the new beams. The swaying long term is all my concern is.

.Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects