Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to right a tilted umbrella?

assey
Getting Established

How to right a tilted umbrella?

Hi,  I have two Marquee Umbrellas.  One I purchased last year and the other just before Christmas 2013.  As we live in an apartment we need a tilt umbrella to use in the late afternoon the block the sun.  The first umbrella has a section half way up the pole which if turned lets the tilt happen.  Then when putting it upright again you turn this part to the opposite way and it rights again. Photos included. (it is the striped umbrella)

The other one lets you press a button right near the top of its pole to tilt.  But when I want to upright this again there is nowhere I can find where this is possible.  I am now having to stand on a ladder to push it up manually.  Just crazy.  I am hoping I have missed something here and hope someone can advise me.

Thanks in advance.This is the 2nd one where the button is pushed to tilt.This is the 2nd one where the button is pushed to tilt.This is no 1 where this part turn either wayThis is no 1 where this part turn either wayfirst one where is tiltsfirst one where is tiltsfirst one it tilts and half way down where you can turnfirst one it tilts and half way down where you can turn2nd one where there is nowhere to turn2nd one where there is nowhere to turn

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to right a tilted umbrella

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @assey. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Marquee umbrellas.

So sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your umbrella. Do you happen to have the details of the model so I can look further into its functionality for you? The closest unit I can find in the current range is the Marquee 2.7m Monaco Round Charcoal Market Umbrella, but that doesn't appear to feature a tilt function at all. 

From your description, it does look like the tilt function is a manual operation. Did it mention in the instructions how that function worked?

If you've found the operation too difficult or the product has not met your expectations, I'd encourage you to return it to the store of purchase and discuss the issue with the team there.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
assey
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you so much for the quick reply.  It would seem you are correct and it is therefore a manual function.  But you either have to be a tall person or use a step ladder to right the tilt before you can bring the umbrella down after use.

I did however buy it before Christmas and have not kept the receipt and there were no instructions with the umbrella.  So it looks like I will have to keep using the step ladder to push the umbrella upright again after tilt is used.

Do you perhaps know if there is another tilt umbrella which is not manual that Bunnings sell.

Thanks

Astrid

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Would you have paid on card as our team in-store can be rather helpful with searching for your receipt, which we keep on file @assey. If you can find your transaction on your statement, which will give us the day, it's a rather quick process.

I did have a look through our range, and it did not appear that any of the current models have this twist feature to tilt the head.

Mitchell

assey
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell,

Yes I did and I can find that for sure.  But as there are no tilt umbrellas in the range I will need to keep it and climb a ladder to right it each time.

We need a tilt umbrella where we live as the afternoon sun is really bad.

Thank you for all your help here.  I really appreciate all that you did.

cheers

Astrid

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Would a cantilever umbrella be too cumbersome in the space, @assey? Most of those come with a tilt function. It is a manual function but some of them are actioned from midway up the pole and not at the top.

Mitchell

assey
Getting Established

I will need to go into a Bunnings and have a look at them.  It looks like some of them will work.  

So if it works I can exchange and pay the difference ?

cheers

Astrid

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If you happen to have the box and the umbrella is in a saleable condition then returning it for credit won't be an issue @assey. If you've gotten rid of the box or the product is damaged at all, then it would be best to discuss the issue you've experienced with a manager and explain that you are unable to safely operate the function of the umbrella, and that is not what you expected. I'm sure the team in the store will try their best to remedy the situation.

Mitchell

assey
Getting Established

Thank you.  I will go to the Bunnings store where I purchased the umbrella and speak with the staff/Manager there.

And again thank you for all your help.  It is much appreciated.

cheers

Astrid

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects