Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make paint stick on concrete porch?

DIY_obsessed
Just Starting Out

How to make paint stick on concrete porch?

The paint on my concrete porch keeps flaking off in spots where the rain falls. I think the old concrete was just painted over with grey paint to freshen it up. I tried doing a fresh coat of paint, but over time, the paint is flaking off again. What can I do to make a fresh coat of paint stick? Do I sand it, similar to restoring furniture? I want to do a stencil pattern with paint rather than tile or resurface the area.

IMG_9919.jpg.   IMG_9916.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make paint stick on concrete porch

Hello @DIY_obsessed 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about repairing your concrete porch.

Your assumptions are correct the surface of the porch was probably painted over with ordinary paint and after a while it started to peel off. A special type of concrete or paving paint is used for concrete surfaces that get a lot of foot traffic. It's specifically formulated for outdoor use and is UV and weather resistant.

Unfortunately, this type of paint can't be used for spot repairs as it has to be put on uncoated concrete. The old paint must be removed before you apply new paint. Painting over the old paint is not advised as there is no guarantee that the old paint will not peel off. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint concrete floors.

If you have any other question we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects