Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How level this with rest of slab?

vic_w
Finding My Feet

How level this with rest of slab?

Hi there 👋 

I recently got the old hot water system replaced which used to sit on this little concrete block along the side of the house. This base is no longer required. I’m looking for suggestions on how to remove, or treat this concrete block. I would like to make it flush with rest of the side walk. Anything else to lookout for. 

IMG_3809.jpeg

IMG_3810.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how level this with rest of slab?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @vic_w. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about levelling a slab.

The most efficient way to level this area would be to break up the raised slab with a rotary hammer drill, and its chisel bit. They are like a mini-jackhammer. You might also need a masonry chisel and a sledgehammer to get through tougher sections. Once the slab is broken up, or at least reduced down to below the level of the existing slab, you can fill the area flush to the surrounds with concrete.

Regarding anything else to watch out for, just be careful as you break up the slab to avoid any plumbing pipes or conduits being run under it. Also, please remember your PPE, including gloves, safety glasses, enclosed shoes and a dust mask.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How level this with rest of slab?

Hi @vic_w , further to @MitchellMc 's advice, ....

given that the pathway next to the raised slab is cracked, it would be worthwhile first breaking that section off, (somewhere in line with the edges of the raised bit) so that you will be able to create a new section right across the pathway as well as be rid of that crack.

The other advantage of removing it, is that you will have an area of dirt where you can dig under the raised slab to check if there are any pipes etc under there. (I suggest a Trenching shovel.) If you dig out about a third of the dirt from under there, it will make the raised slab break off more easily and quickly, maybe with just a sledge hammer. Then repeat digging under the slab until you have broken it up.

You can use some of the broken bits as a filler to save concrete if you wish, before you pour a new concrete section in that area.

(If you do, tamp them down and keep the bits low so that they don't weaken the top layer of concrete.)

vic_w
Finding My Feet

thank you for the thorough advice, I will have a go and post the results soon :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @vic_w and reach out if you have further questions or get stuck.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects