Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which concrete blocks for raised garden bed?

vernalmuse
Getting Established

Which concrete blocks for raised garden bed?

Hi all,
Looking for some advice on the choice of concrete blocks for the walls of my raised garden, similar to the attached image. I would like to use concrete adhesive rather than mortar as it might be faster. Only going three blocks up.

Now, I've looked at both the adbri versa blocks but they are too wide for my liking. A little pricey too.

These Brighton blocks come in 90mm thickness and suit the thin look I prefer but the reviews on it are pretty average and one person says there are too rough to use adhesive on. Does anyone with experience using these? Are they any good, especially if using adhesive instead of mortar?

backyard.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Which concrete blocks for raised garden bed?

Hi @vernalmuse,

Awesome stuff posting your first question! Your garden bed inspiration is really lovely and the community would love to help you create it. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online this afternoon to assist, let me tag @TedBearand @Marty_greenshed to see if they have any advice on the Brighton blocks and using adhesive to create the look you are after.

As an alternative to concrete blocks, check out @SmileDesigner's Backyard makeover with raised beds and seating project where they attached blue board to the sleepers on the front of the garden bed and then used Dulux Texture Full Cover Exterior Paint to get a render finish.

We would love to see what you create, please keep us updated with photos of your journey.

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @vernalmuse 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about raised garden beds.

I don't see anything wrong with using Brighton Blocks, they are on the slim side but should work as a low-level wall for your raised garden. The other choices of course are the 200 x 50mm Sleeper H4 Treated Pine Sienna MicroPro 1.8m or using Brighton Masonry 230 x 114 x 60mm Cream Concrete Paver

However, the Brighton blocks gaps will need to be filled with concrete to provide rigidity and strength. I recommend having a quick look at this guide - How to build a raised garden bed by @Adam_W. This guide will show you an excellent method of building a raised garden bed using timber sleepers. 

The third option of course is using Brighton Masonry Pavers. It is possible to glue them together, but I'm afraid that it can't go very high as there is a strong possibility of the paver toppling over or sliding out due to the weight of the soil.

One other option I failed to mention is using bricks, however, it will be necessary to build a foundation to prevent the bricks from sinking into the soil. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Advice needed to lay brick raised flower bed by @Brunnie_Rich

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @Dave-1 for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@vernalmuse 

Good Morning :smile: Was just re-reading your question a few times and went to see what the Versa blocks look like. I dont have a lot of experience with putting any kind of brickwork other then issues with it down the track lol

I have a few Besa block styled walls. These are retaining walls and not garden bed walls but my way of thinking if I am turning a garden over with a shovel then the bricks and base need to stand up to that kind of leverage. @EricL  suggested a foundation base for a garden bed made out of the blocks. I would agree with him for sure. The walls I have at home have no base other then compaced dirt. The blocks were mortared and over time the walls have cracked. but Once there is a large crack / diplacement in the wall then then whole lot will move.

Foundations are permanant, this is probarly why I havnt gone down the path of masonary. If you chaneg your mind on the style of wall and looka t the various gabion style walls theer are then yes :smile: I can help you there and they dont need foundations. I have put in a few cages as retaining walls and two taht I intended to backfill with garden soil to actually grow things. (These walls were around the 25cm thicness mark) 

I do like @KatieC's suggestion about the concrete sheeting. I was about to suggest the same deal until I re-read her post.

So I have a few questions of course :smile: Do you have a photo of the area you want to puild in? What is the base soil (Clay, landfill, Coalwash) Is it backing onto a solid wall or is it freestanding? I do like to try an think outside the square for a solution and yeah I know the ones I have offered arnt anywhere near a brick wall you described. Will keep thinking about it tho!

Dave

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@vernalmuse 

I have just been watching some how to videos on youtube with the Versawall blocks. I may have to change my opinion of them!

They look good and the ones I saw have no mortar or glue (Bar the corner block) between them. They were also put down on compacted road base and some sand/concrete mix. Maybe that is a standard? 

So my opinion has changed, those type of blocks do look good and look pretty easy to put in. 

(Versawall blocks) This is one of the videos I watched. I really wouldnt back up a garden bed to a fence tho :surprised: lol But thats me.

Dave

vernalmuse
Getting Established

That makeover by @SmileDesigner is amazing! Thanks for sharing @KatieC 

vernalmuse
Getting Established

You’re right @Dave-1 @I’ve watched lord of versa block videos over the last few weeks. They do look amazing once you get the base and first course right. Even seen some reviews of them 10 years after they’ve been installed and they cope pretty well. If I can’t  find any easy to install block solution that is slim, I might end up going with them - it’s just more expensive than the slimmer bessa block solution 

vernalmuse
Getting Established

@Dave-1 - yes, never backup to a fence. That would be a pain in the future for neighbour and yourself. If I do go for the versablock solution, I would probably go for H4 sleeper wall on the back (fence) side - can be hidden away by plans 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects