Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you stop erosion on hill?

Steve5
Having an Impact

How do you stop erosion on hill?

Hi,

We added fill and had it compacted but we weren't able to get good compaction on the side near the bush.

Now, we're seeing a bit of erosion so I'm looking for a good way to stop it, see lower left side of photo.

No worries about appearance as it will be behind a fence.  

Any ideas much appreciated.

Hill.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do you stop erosion on hill?

Hi @Steve5 

One solution would to be to use treated timber  sleepers and terrace the ground level if you wish.

Stack the sleepers and  make a mini retaining wall line the inside down ward side with a bit of geo cloth or similar to let water out and retain  soil. 

Or you might like bush stone stacked up at an pyramid angle no cement required as they   will bed down in time some dirt will form around them as in nature water  will flow  through  them and  you can use geo cloth too.  Stone will last longer.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @Steve5 

I'm with @Jewelleryrescue on this one, I suggest using 200 x 50mm 2.4m Treated Pine Sleeper CCA H4 to make a mid sized retaining wall. 

There is also the option of using Brighton Retaining Wall Blocks. Please note that it will be necessary to create a concrete footing for the stone blocks to provide a solid foundation for the blocks and prevent them from twisting out of place. 

Here is a handy step-by step guide: How to build a timber retaining wall

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on this project.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hay  @Steve5 

That  erosion problem looks like it is happening off your  property into bushland  So you cant really build any formal retaining wall.

So that  brings  me back to  stacking bush stone  against the bank  . I made a  simple stack of chunky rocks on the existing dirt and they  never moved. Water drains freely too.

simple rock embankment just piledsimple rock embankment just piled

Thanks for the idea and photo!

Stones worked great during all the recent big rains, thanks heaps!!!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Steve5 

That's good to hear, I'm sure @Jewelleryrescue will be pleased to know his suggestion worked.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects