Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you build hard deck like cover for small plunge pool?

Christina8
Finding My Feet

How do you build hard deck like cover for small plunge pool?

I have a plunge pool that I would like to have deck like structure on that can slide off or concertina or any ideas. I have room for it to slide but maybe something more compact. The pool is only 194cm x 375cm so wondering what is most cost effective and simple to build.

Thanks

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How do you build hard deck like cover for small plunge pool?

Good Afternoon @Christina8 

Welcome to the Bunnings Community :smile: Hopefully you will find a bunch of ideas in here as well as the answer to your question!

Having a spa lid that became water logged before and ending up weighing 2 tonnes (felt like it!) I have been tryingto figure ways around a manufactured styrofoam/plastic answer. The one I have seen may help you out.

Think a square piece of timber that is cut down the center diagonally so you end up with three pieces that look like a triangle end on (two small and one large). The largest I can find that costs the least is something like 90 x 45mm outdoor framing mgp10 h3 treated pine 2.4m 

10-11-2023.jpg

Now you lay your hands on some waterprrof tarp that is hard wearing, You attach the bottom of the traingle to the tarp so the widest part of the triangle is flat on the bottom. (this is my only hesitation, use liquid nails in strips down each piece/stainless tacks with large heads) For your plunge pool I would cut the timber lengths at around 500mm, these are laid out horizontaly over the plunge pool (Think the shape of a toblerone)  with the tarp underneath the timber.

When you want to use it the whole thing can be rolled up towards one end. (you could have a box the same height of the plunge pool at the end of the pool) and then roll it onto it. The traingle pieces will slot together forming a rough ball. 

Dave

Hi Dave, 

Thanks. I would like to be able to stand on it and have rain go through like a deck so not sure this would fit with that but still a nice idea. Maybe I could replace the tarp with waterproof tarp like mesh with slats attached so it could be rolled up like you said. 
I like your thinking. 
Thanks 

Christina 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Christina8 

I like your thinking as well! :smile: Maybe a bit of both worlds then. Instea dof the diagonal cut cut the piece of 90mm * 45mm straight down the center. Then attach shade cloth to one side. Space 1cm apart for the timber or maybe 15mm apart with the shadecloth on the high side, that way you could walk on it? And still roll it up.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Christina8. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building a deck over a pool.

Love the idea, but my first instinct is that this is potentially not a D.I.Y. type project. Creating a low-level deck over soil is one thing, but over a plunge pool is another. It would need to be designed to span the distances of the pool, whereas a deck has supports under it across its span. Also, if something was to fail, then there is the potential risk of drowning. I'd encourage you to reach out to your local council and enlist the services of a professional to determine whether this is something that would meet regulations and be possible.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Dave-1 

Although I’m wondering if it would be possible to walk on the wood if the planks span nearly 2m across without a strut supporting them in the middle, as can’t have support strut if I want to roll it up.

What wood would work for this? It would have to be lightweight but super strong.

thanks

christina 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Christina8 

Ahhh I just went and looked at your measurements again 😕 194cm x 375cm for some reason I was thinking of a 1.9m by 40cm tub as a plunge pool. My first idea is a definite no go for that. 

I cant think of a timber structure that wouldnt flex. So heading towards steel beams of some kind and I dont think you are after that level of decking?

Dave

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Hello again @Christina8  :smile:

Mmmmm Thinking as I always do.

You could build yourself a sliding deck using something along the line of these guys with timber attached to them to screw a deck to. It would be "involved" I would say. 

treco steel 3000 x 100 x 75 x 10mm galvanised angle lintel This would not flex and would span your plunge pool.

I would be thinking along the lines of what @MitchellMc recomended at this point. If you have a deck over water then fencing comes into play, any water deeper then 20cm is a potentail hazard I think in NSW. 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects