Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do with Merbau offcuts?

jaiprak
Having an Impact

What to do with Merbau offcuts?

I have a lot of merbau off cuts from frontyard retaining wall construction. Any idea what DIY can I do with them?

I am thinking of planter boxes fully done with it and not use TPs. Would that work? If I end up doing that how would I secure the bottom portion of the planter box. Can merbau panels hold screws inserted in their cross section?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Merbau offcuts

Hi @jaiprak,

You could certainly use Merbau to create planter boxes, though it might be best to line them with black plastic to prevent the moist soiled from contacting the timber. You could either make the boxes open-bottomed or you can insert screws into the panel's cross-section to create a base. You'll need to pre-drill and use the correct-sized screws to avoid splitting. 

Check out our Top 10 most popular planter box projects. There is plenty of inspiration to be had and you'll get to see how our members have made their own planter boxes.

Regarding other projects you can complete with them, what about some garden seating or a privacy screen?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc - Thanks for the response. The offcuts are around 500 mills or lesser. Tough to create privacy screen (May be can try smaller width). Can they be buried in ground? Thinking of creating a grading edge with it.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Using the offcuts as garden edging sounds like a brilliant idea @jaiprak. I'd suggest painting the ends that are being buried in the soil with Gripset Betta 1L Waterproofing Membrane Bitumen Rubber. This will prevent the timber from being in contact with the moist soil and add a considerable length to its lifespan.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc - Finally built garden planters with these offcuts

IMG_9080.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Those look sensational, @jaiprak. I'm really digging the sleek design and the wonderful use of offcuts! 

Great work! You'll need to update us again once you have them planted up; I trust they'll look fabulous.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects