Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover this drain hole?

Newbie2
Just Starting Out

How to cover this drain hole?

IMG_7153.jpeg

Hi all,

I would like your help. Could someone please advise what the best way to cover the drain hole as picture attached? I don’t want stones goes inside and block the drain.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Help with drain issue

Good Afternoon @Newbie2 

Yeah I have knocked stuff into my stormwater pipe and its a pain :smile: 

Because your downpipe and the other stormwater pipe is so close to the surface of the terracotta pipe maybe something along the lines of this everhard leaf basket that way you wont have to modify your piping hopefully.

If you have the space between the stormwater pipe and downpipe this could be used. holman 90mm storm pvc finish collar with grate

Just make sure you meausure the inside diameter's of your pipe before you go to the store :smile:

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cover this drain hole?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Newbie2. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about stormwater drains.

You have a bit of an unconventional setup there. The downpipe should be finished above the ground and terracotta pipe, and the water should fall through a grate into it. The black pipe would be best to connect under ground. @Dave-1 has provided the link to the grated collar, and if you were to lift the pipes that might fit in place.

I do like his idea of using the Everhard leaf basket. You'd need to cut the square rim down to fit within the lip of the terracotta pipe. I'd suggest using aviation snips to do so. Alternatively, any other stiff wire mesh would perform a similar job.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects