Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Front yard renovation

LaCasaDIY
Having an Impact

Front yard renovation

A facade to match our very popular Mediterranean inspired renovation project on Bunnings Workshop.
Planter boxes and walkway from fence to porch was created using travertine pavers and pebbles.
The arbor was built for a grand entrance, also to keep the harsh western sun out. Slats installed in an angle for shade. 
Front door sanded and sealed with wax to match the porch pillar cladding and added a digital lock.
Rendered walls were painted white and we added stone mosaic tiles to the wall opposite the porch pillar.
The renovation came together by laying synthetic turf. We are in love!

20230825_141259-01.jpeg20230825_141447-01.jpeg20210828_145756-01.jpeg20210829_134017-01 (2).jpeg20211013_155627-01 (1).jpeg20210827_175135-01 (2).jpeg20210827_175026-01 (2).jpeg20210829_133928-01 (2).jpeg20231107_170754-01.jpeg20231107_170823-01.jpeg

Materials

Tiles - Duratile 60 x 60cm Terrazzo

Classic Porcelain Floor Tile - Carton 3

$25.92 per carton

Dulux 4L Exterior Paint

Weathershield Low Sheen Vivid White

$88.50

115 x 115mm 3.0m Post F7 Cypress DAR $104.17

610 x 406 x 30mm Travertine Natural Stone Paver $26.99

Jack 2-6mm 10Kg White Decorative Pebble Chips $16.30

200 x 50mm 2.4 Treated Pine Sleeper H4 $18.00

Cabot's 4L Deck and Exterior Merbau Oil Based Timber Stain $111.00

Arlec LED Solar Fence Light 4 Pack $19.98 (Used on plantar boxes to light walkway)

The post lights I think may have been deleted as I can't find them.

Orion Grid Connect Smart Wi-Fi Entrance Lock $198.00

Tools

Re: Front yard renovation

Hi @LaCasaDIY,

Simply reply here with any updates you have. You can only edit a post within the first 24 hours. This is to protect the integrity of the forum. 

When Wayne puts together your Featured Project article he can synthesise all the information and photos together to make it easier for everyone to enjoy.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LaCasaDIY
Having an Impact

Choosing a theme for your landscape design can help create a cohesive and harmonious outdoor space. Here are a few tips to consider when selecting a theme and coordinating materials, plants, and a color palette:

1. Select a Theme : Decide on the overall style or theme you want for your landscape. Whether it's a modern, minimalist look, a lush and tropical oasis, a cottage garden charm, or a zen-inspired retreat, having a clear theme in mind will guide your plant and material choices. Mine was to create a continuation of the Mediterranean retreat we created in our backyard.

2. Reflective Materials : Use materials that reflect the style you're aiming for. For example, sleek concrete pavers or minimalistic stone pathways might suit a modern theme, while rustic natural stone or weathered wood could complement a cottage garden feel. I used travertine pavers for the walkway. warm stoned mosaics, wood and white to match the Mediterranean look.

3. Plant Selection : Choose plants that align with your chosen theme. For a tropical landscape, opt for lush, large-leafed plants and vibrant flowers. In a modern design, consider sculptural plants with clean lines and minimal foliage. Research and select plants based on their form, texture, and color to complement your theme. But also consider the position you are planting in, as plants have specific climate, water and feeding requirements.

4. Color Palette : Create a cohesive look by incorporating a well-thought-out color palette. For example, a calming and serene theme might lean towards cool blues, greens, and off whites, while a vibrant and energetic theme could incorporate bold reds, oranges, and yellows. Keeping things simple, light and airy is a timeless option.

5. Balance and Harmony : Strive for balance and harmony in your material, plant, and color choices. Aim for a complementary and balanced composition that enhances the overall ambiance of your outdoor space. Symmetrical designs often create a more calming and/or formal effect.

By following these tips, your landscape design will reflect a unified theme and create a welcoming and harmonious outdoor environment.

@WayneM @Jason 

Hi @WayneM 

Was the above sufficient information on how I went about creating our facade/front yard renovation? Please let me know if you need anything further 😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LaCasaDIY 

Thanks for sharing that guide, I'm sure our members will find the information useful when the time comes to renovate their front yard.

Eric

WayneM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi again @LaCasaDIY 

Thank you again for getting back to me. I have to say that not only do you excel in home renovations, your list of issues to consider was very comprehensive and extremely well written. I'm sure many community members will take a lot from what you've detailed.

It would be very helpful to others, I think, if you could provide a step-by-step account of how you went about your renovation (as best as you can remember). I have no doubt that community members keen to emulate what you've done so well would benefit greatly from any tips, pitfalls, tricks, etc. you can impart.

If you look at this link: https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Featured-Projects/Kitchen-renovation-in-small-flat/ta-p/1927..., you might be able to use it as a very rough guide on how to explain how you went about your great work.

Thanks again for getting back in touch @LaCasaDIY,

Wayne

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects