Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Courtyard gate and canopy

tal_itha
Building a Reputation

Courtyard gate and canopy

this was basically a project for my dog - i installed this gate  to keep her from the carport area, and a little canopy to keep her dry when she waits for me to come home and it's raining.

THE GATE

There was originally a gate there as I could see some of the bits and bobs for it. I wanted something that reflected the retro vibe of my 1969 place, but I couldn't find anything in my price point.

So I painted a RapidMesh black bar garden gate using duramax spray paint in the colour 'natural flora', and cut down a couple of cypress pine pickets and attached them with liquid nails. The liquid nails hasn't held up and a bunch have fallen out - I plan to re-do them with the exterior strength stuff.

I used self-closing hinges, and then a couple of neodymium magnets which hold the gate closed as there is a thin metal strip attached to the wall already (from the previous gate I presume). This means that I can open the gate easily with my foot if I have my hands full, which is great when bringing in groceries or taking the rubbish out.

THE CANOPY

My dog has the adorable but also annoying habit of waiting for me to come home right at the spot she last saw me - which if I drive, means right by this gate - come rain hail or shine. So I wanted something that would keep her dry, and my home smelling less like a wet dog.

I built the frame out of a combination of cypress pine, to compliment the gate, and LOSP treated pine, to withstand the elements. I painted the pine using the same green as the gate. I used Sunlite polycarb as the covering, and curved it so that water would run off and not pool. 

Then I attached a painted strip of the treated pine to the brick on one side, to even it out with the big piece of hardwood attached on the other side (probably when the place was built!), and used these to screw my pseudo stays into, to help distribute the weight and stop it from hanging forward. For the 'stays' I used these long thin threaded metal rods that were at the end of an aisle at bunnings - no idea what they're called! I painted them with Squirts gold spray paint  - it's the nicest gold spray paint at bunnings by far, in my opinion.

IMG_8565.JPGIMG_9308.JPGIMG_8567.JPG

Materials

RapidMesh black bar garden gate

cypress pine pickets

duramax spray paint

self-closing hinges

liquid nails

neodymium magnets

LOSP treated pine

Sunlite polycarb

Squirts gold spray paint 

a bunch of assorted screws

metal threaded rod thingys

Tools

mitre saw

hammer drill

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Courtyard Gate and Canopy

Hello @tal_itha 

Thanks for sharing your steps and the materials you used to build the courtyard gate and canopy. It looks fantastic and very modern. I was wondering about how you kept the gate closed. Curving the Polycarb was a great idea and using magnetic latches to hold the door close is clever. Did you do it over several weekends or did you finish it all in a few days!

Again, thanks for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Courtyard gate and canopy

Good Morning @tal_itha 

Now thats a good looking gate! Serious you have picked up on the retro but modern theme for your house. I would be interested to see if the outside liquid nails holds up :smile: As to using the threaded rods (I think) that you got from the end of the aisle :smile: Brilliant! What made you think of using them like that? I love the outside of the box thinking, where something is used in not quiet the way it was originaly thought of. 

I am sure your doggo appreciates the cover :smile: 

A nice project for sure.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects