Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat rotting Bali hut posts?

Saigey
Finding My Feet

How to treat rotting Bali hut posts?

We picked up a Bali hut for free which we are hoping to put together over the top of our got tub. The only problem is the 4 posts are a little rotten on bottom and I was wondering what the best course of action would be to repair them or at the very least stop it from getting worse in the short term. I'm uncertain if I should be bogging it, cutting it and capping the ends etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PXL_20231106_053323146.jpg

PXL_20231106_053334933.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to treat rotting Bali hut posts?

Hello @Saigey 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about treating your Bali hut posts.

If you are re-using the posts, I suggest trimming off the rotted part of the post. The reason for this is to make sure that the footing of the post is good solid wood. I propose cutting off only the rotted part of the post, this of course will mean that you'll need to make a taller concrete footing to compensate for the part that you cut off. 

I also suggest sealing the bottom of the post with Gripset Betta 1L Waterproofing Membrane Bitumen Rubber. This will protect the exposed section from moisture.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @Saigey 

Score! with the Bali hut :smile: Nice one! Welcome to the community :smile: Perfect place to wander around in and just have a look. 

With your posts Id saw off the rotten part for sure, I would be tempted to put in L bracket stirrup posts making sure you dont rest the post on the base of the L (will stop water pooling that way) pryda 130mm m10 half stirrup post anchor  There are also ones you can concrete in place but this is the idea.

Second way is to use otter 690 x 90mm ground screw stirrup instead of concrete and then still cut your pots plus square the base to fit. 

Both ways means no more rotteing and can potentially add back that missing height from the rotted part. Id still seal  it as @EricL suggests for sure.

Dave

Thank you so much for your advice @Dave-1. Potentially stupid question but if you don't rest the post on the L, how would it be attached to/support the post?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Saigey 

hahahahah no such thing as stupid questions, seriosuly there are not. It always helps someone even if its the silent person in the group that is worried about asking and just hoping someone else does. So with the L bracket or the full stirrup there are holes in the side to put screws or bolts through (I prefer bolts as I find they can be tightend better. This is what I did for my deck support posts at home. It stops the bottom of th post rotting. I used an offcut as a spacer while putting the posts in and then knocked it out when finished. 

33 15-01-2013.jpg

34 15-01-2013.jpg

With the second photo you can see the bolts that I used. I suggested an L shaped stirrup as your posts are wide and you may not want to tim them down via saw and chisel is all. I would still make sure you have a flat edge against the post for the stirrup attachment point tho.

Any other questions just ask :smile: If I dont know someone in here will. Thats the beauty of this page. It has so much info and potetial ways of doing things!

Have a wander though my profile for decks/privacy screens or others as there are some nice builds I have seen.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Saigey 

Would you happen to have seen how the posts were installed when the hut was still assembled? A good example of an "L" bracket is Carinya 210 x 130 x 50 x 6mm Galvanised Heavy Duty Angle Bracket. I would of course suggest engaging the services of a registered builder so that they can advise you how to properly build the footing of the hut. They will also tell you how big the "L" bracket needs to be.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your Bali hut assembly.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects