Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you cover weep holes in brickwork?

BEG
Getting Established

Can you cover weep holes in brickwork?

763C7B96-53FD-4C3D-A05D-3CF4E6EB9099.jpeg

59214061-6892-438B-AFE5-60ED83ECF386.jpeg

B0A67C4A-12BA-414A-A801-E1B2C8FC3A82.jpeg

  

When digging out the soil against the side of the house I have uncovered the weep holes.

There were seven various downpipes, drains and sprinklers in this section, which was a nightmare to mow!!

My plan is to run a row of bricks 40 cm from the house and fill in this area with pea gravel.

Am I my wasting my time removing the stones blocking the weep holes?

Should I keep the level of the pea gravel below the weep holes? Or is it okay to cover that course of bricks?

My first question to the group, but I have more to come! 🙄

Thank you,

Lorraine. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you cover weep holes in brickwork?

Hello @BEG (Lorraine)

Thanks for sharing your question about your brick walls weep holes. First, removing the stones from the weep holes is not a waste of time. This will open up the ventilation in your walls and removing these obstructions is a plus. I strongly suggest installing Weepguard Grey Brick Barrier Weep Hole Vent - 10 Pack to prevent stones and vermin from entering your brick walls.

I agree with your proposal of keeping the stones below the weep holes. Covering them up will stop its function so it's best to keep them open and unobstructed.

Your plan of putting up the bricks is very sound and should make your mowing much more convenient. Just to add to your ideas, I propose putting down some weedmat to prevent weeds from sprouting in between your pea gravel.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BEG
Getting Established

Hi Eric, thanks so much for your response. 💕

I was initially thinking of folding midge fly wire and inserting it into the gaps.

But I will buy the Weepguard instead.
I wish it would stop the pesky ants!! 🤦🏻‍♀️

Once this project is completed I can go onto stage two which is to get my lawn looking the best I can. 🤞

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @BEG (Lorraine)

I suggest spraying some Richgro 500g Ant And Wasp Killa Dust into the weep holes before you cover it with the Weepguard. 

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BEG
Getting Established

Thanks again, Eric.

I have the Richgro Granules and was trying to work out how I could get that into the weep holes. 🤔

I will buy the Richgro Dust, as this sounds like a better option.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects