Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I modify my alfresco roof myself?

AS19
Growing in Experience

Can I modify my alfresco roof myself?

0742385E-773B-4B15-9A68-E02FA3B2EECA.jpeg

The roofed & paved outdoor area of our new home is far larger than we’d ever need (it extends the full width of the back of the house in addition to the alfresco area under the main roof). This wouldn’t be a problem, except it’s at the expense of any garden or greenery!

We’re considering modifying the roof structure to open the area back up. Ideally we’d also pull up the aggregate past the end of the pool fence so that we can install some turf (possibly artificial) and kids play equipment adjacent to the shed.

First Q… Is this something we could reasonably do ourselves (perhaps just bringing in the professionals to cut and remove part of the aggregate)? Does anyone in the Workshop community have any insight to share on the steps involved / things to consider before proceeding?

Secondly; if this is a job best left to the pros, who would we even call?! Which trade(s) would tackle this sort of job?

Lastly; is artificial turf the best option here, or is there a better Bunnings product (incl special orders) we could use (either on top of the aggregate or to replace it) to make the ground soft and not too hot to play on?

Sorry about all the Qs - the idea is slowly forming in my mind as to how we can make this space better suit our needs and I know others will have valuable insights to share! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Alfresco roof modifications - DIY or not?!

Hello @AS19 

I understand how you feel when everything is concreted up and there is no greenery in sight. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend building some raised garden beds with trellises on the back or you can build a vertical garden just like in this guide - How to build a vertical garden by @MitchellMc.

When combined with the artificial turf it should turn that concrete corner of yours into a green paradise. I also suggest having a look at this discussion - Vertical garden and Merbau planter boxes by @BrendanB.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects