Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean stains on brick wall?

NoraNguyen
Finding My Feet

How to clean stains on brick wall?

  

IMG_2427.jpeg

IMG_2422.jpeg

Could you please show me how to clean the stain on brick wall?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to clean stains on brick wall?

Hi @NoraNguyen 

Persistent  efflorescence (white stuff)  should be taken as a warning that possible  water is entering the wall some where.

The salts that cause  efflorescence are soluble in water and will be washed from external walls by rain, however damp sponging affected surfaces
at intervals will speed this process. When using a damp sponge it is important to carefully control the moisture content of the sponge. If the sponge is too wet, the salts go back into the wall and the effort is wasted. Sweeping the salt off with a brush or broom can also have effects on removing efflorescence.

Acid or alkaline treatments do more harm as then add to the salt content in the wall.

So  brush it clean and damp sponge it.

Hope this helps

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean stains on brick wall?

Hello @NoraNguyen 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. I agree with the suggestions made; I also propose using Josco 3 Piece Hand Wire Brush Kit to remove the build-up of efflorescence. I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to remove grout haze? by @Mitch16.

I also propose using Glitz Green 2L Cleaning Vinegar to remove the tougher parts of the stain. Please make sure to dilute the vinegar 50/50 with water. But Jewelleryrescue brings up a good point. Efflorescence does not come out on its own without a source. I suggest investigating if there is leak in your wall or a condensation issue occurring around that area.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects