Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best way to string a wire between two posts for a Wisteria vine?

bluebottled
Getting Established

Best way to string a wire between two posts for a Wisteria vine?

Hello,

I have two wisteria vines that are currently climbing up two metal beams (square cross-section, roughly 7cm in diameter, about 3 meters apart). I'd like to the connect the two metal beams with a piece of wire/string so that the vines can connect horizontally (and eventually create a semi-feature).

What would be be the best way to string the two posts together to allow this? I've attached a rough diagram to illustrate.Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 10.19.14 am.png

Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best way to string a wire between two posts for a Wisteria Vine

Hi @bluebottled,

I'd suggest installing some eyebolts through both of the metal posts. An alternative would be wire eye straps that you could screw directly into the posts. You can then run either stainless steel wire or braided cable between them. If you're going to use the braided cable, I recommend picking up a couple of wire grips and a tensioner to assist with installation. Using the wire rope would give a more premium look, but if you'd prefer function over looks, the wire rope will work fine. I've created the below renderings to illustrate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you for the detailed response and apologies for the late reply.

Ideally I'd like to avoid drilling a hole into the poles, would there be any alternate options to stringing the wire? Would using a U bolt or tensioning the wire (so that it tightly grips the pole) be options?

Many thanks,

Hi @bluebottled,

No need to apologise.

You could simply just wrap a stainless steel wire around the post and twist it around itself with a Whites Fencer's Tool. The same can be done on the other post to tension the line. This method has been working fine for farmers for the past hundred years.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Rolando
Having an Impact

Re: Best way to string a wire between two posts for a Wisteria vine?

2023-01-08-House-04.JPG

2022-07-12-Grapevine trellis.JPG

Hi, this is how I did a similar project at my place, using what Mitchell suggested but with turnbuckles to improve on the wire tension or to remove it if needed. I also added galvanised caps to improve the posts life by avoiding water soaking through the end. Ciao

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects