Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build frontyard tiered decking steps?

frediynewbie
Building a Reputation

How to build frontyard tiered decking steps?

I've been wanting to build a decking stairs/step (not sure what it's called) in front of our house as part of our front landscaping. But I'm not sure how to build the frame for it. Do I start from the lowest step and work my way up to the house?

Our front yard has a bit of a fall from our house to footpath. Length is about 4.2 meters and planning to build a 1m width, 3 tier steps. I tried to measure the height of our porch to the footpath and I think it's around 40cm. Do you think it's enough for a 3 tier steps?

If anyone has done this before, would love to see your frame structure to have a better idea. 

photo grabbed onlinephoto grabbed online

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build frontyard tiered decking steps?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @frediynewbie. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating tiered steps.

I've gone ahead and created several renderings for you to assist with your project. Hopefully, they'll give you a good idea of where to start. Initially, you'll have to dig the tiering into the soil and work from there. Once you have the soiled levelled, compacted and tiered, you'll have a better idea of how to build the platforms. 

I would prefer that you create a sub-frame that is in contact with the soil using H4-treated timber. This will prevent the H3-treated framing timber from contacting the soil and experiencing early decay. The H4 timber frame can be infilled with drainage gravel to assist with the removal of water from the structure.

Typically, stairs have a minimal rise height of 115mm, so it looks like you can just adhere to construction codes.

Once you have a look at the renders I'm sure you'll have plenty more questions to ask. So, please let me know.

Mitchell

T1.pngT2.pngT3.pngT4.pngT5.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the reply @MitchellMc! The render looks good and really gave me an idea what to do. 

and yes, I do have questions. 😂

1. Do I need to use timber post to fix the H4 timber on the ground? If yes, do I screw in the H3 timber to the post as well?

2. Do I need to compact the gravel first before the H4 timber for drainage or the gravel will just be poured inside the H4 frame timber?

3. If I'm using spotted gum for the decking, can I use it for the fascia? I'm assuming it will be in contact with the soil around it. Or do I need to use different timber for the fascia?

For reference, here's my rough plan for my front yard

334582974_1382788895820617_7444627766710670404_n.jpg

Hi @frediynewbie,

You could use posts to fix the H4 timber, or if you are filling up the middle area with gravel, then you could potentially peg the sleepers into position. 

You'll need to tamp down the soil prior to installing the H4 timber and gravel. Compacting the gravel after pouring it in with a tamper would be a good idea too.

You can use spotted gum for the fascia, but placing hardwood or non-treated timber right at the soil level is not a great building practice. It will spend most of its life being fairly damp, and early onset of decay is expected. You might just need to consider these sacrificial lower fascia boards and replace them every ten years or so when they begin to rot—a small price for an amazing-looking low-level tiered stair platform.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc

So, in my understanding, they are just the same frame (plus few joists in H3 timbers) but on top of each other?

Any tips on how to fix the H3 timber on H4 timbers? or do I fix them both on the same posts/pegs?  

The frames will be directly on top of each other @frediynewbie. The upper H3 frame will be placed on the lower H4 sleeper base. The H3 timber will be one solid frame with all its pieces screwed together, so it doesn't necessarily need to be secured down. However, Pryda strap nails could secure the two structures together. 

Alternatively, you could have the H3 frame bolted to posts that both act to secure the sleepers and give you something to bolt the H3 frame onto.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc 

I'll start planning and give this one a go. Thanks for the tips and renders. It really helps!

Keep us updated on your project, and please reach out again if you get stuck; we're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects