Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Backyard timber pergola

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Backyard timber pergola

Project was to build and install a pergola by attaching it to the existing fence uprights and the fascia (through to the roof rafters) of the house.

Before 

20230115_110638.jpg

After  

IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_2515.jpg

20240119_211002.jpg

IMG_2507.jpg

20240119_222053.jpg

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2514.jpg

20240119_222121.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

Project was to build and install a pergola by attaching it to the existing fence uprights and the fascia (through to the roof rafters) of the house

Materials

140x45mm treated structural pine timber 

125x45mm joist hangers

140x45 concealed joist hanger 

Timber batten screws 

Tools

Mitre saw

Jig saw

Angle 

Drill 

Steps

Step 1

Design ideas (not the final)

20231229_160612.jpg

20231228_153546.jpg

Uprights and barge board

Had to figure out how to extend the uprights of the fence. This took some creativity but worked out something in the end.

20230901_132446.jpg

I also installed the barge board going through the existing fascia to fix it to the rafters.

20231229_081101.jpg

Step 2

Cut timber to size 

The next step was cutting the timber to size using a mitre saw and jig saw to allow clearance for the gutter.

20231228_213106.jpg

Step 3

Install joist hanger 

Next was installing the joist hangers after painting the barge board.

20231229_124756.jpg

Step 4

Rough in

I then did a dry fit to see if all my measurements were good and the whole pergola was level.

20240117_202524.jpg

Step 5

Final trim and paint

I then disassembled to the pergola to trim off some of the timber and painted all the joists.

20240118_085159.jpg

20240118_085148.jpg

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Backyard Timber Pergola

What a cracker of a project @diy_hausdesigns! You certainly made the right choice; the larger timbers add some boldness to the structure.

Would you consider growing a climbing vine over the structure?

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc absolutely 'capped' the backyard off. 

Thinking about replacing the ficus plant with star Jasmine and then rigging some wire along the rafters. What do you reckon ?

----

Hi @diy_hausdesigns 

What a fantastic pergola. In regards to creating a wire rigging for plants to grow on, it is a popular design feature. I'm sure you've seen Training climbers to screen a fence by @royq. It's a great example of using wires to create a trellis for the plants to climb on. I'm sure it will look fantastic once you've set it up.

Eric 

annaluno
Getting Established

Re: Backyard timber pergola

@diy_hausdesigns 

Hello! This looks great! I'd like to build a much smaller one about 1.5m x 1.5m for rain cover near the front door. I am generally ok with I just can't work out how or where to attach it to the fascia board! The roof is just normal tiles. Thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @annaluno,

Hopefully, @diy_hausdesigns can provide advice. So that you know, fascia board isn't a structural material so you can't attach pergolas directly to it. You need to screw through it into the roof's structure behind it. Finding that structure can take a bit of work, which might include removing roof tiles.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi @annaluno thank you for your kind feedback. As @MitchellMc indicated, the facsia is not structural. I had to lift and remove some tiles to locate the rafters and then connect my barge board (through the fascia) through to the rafters. Tricky ! I'm sure others can provide alternative ways to accomplish.

All the best 

----

Hi @EricL @annaluno  - quick update to the pergola - painted it white. Looks much better 😁

20240303_144922.jpg

----

Looks great!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects