Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Any suggestions what can done in this backyard?

faisal1
Just Starting Out

Any suggestions what can done in this backyard?

Hello good people, I was hoping to get some advice. My house has a fairly good size backyard but the shape is bit odd running on 3 sides of the house. Immediately at the back of the living area, is a trapezium shape space where we would like to get the decking installed to have more usable area. Small side of the trapezium is only 1.3m and the large side it is 6.6m. I am afraid after installation, decking may look very weird due to assymetrical shape of the area. Any suggestions what can be done to make it look symmetrical. TIA.

IMG_7756.jpeg

Ready2go
Building a Reputation

Re: Any suggestions what can done in this space in the backyard

there is a huge amount of potential in this space. Would you consider paving rather than decking? it generally works out cheaper and has less ongoing maintenance. Plus, the shapes of the pavers can help with the odd shape space. just make sure you get the ground-work done right!

Ready2go
Building a Reputation

Re: Any suggestions what can done in this space in the backyard

and your fence could benefit from a paint. it will help to make the plants stand out while helping to preserve the timber.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Any suggestions what can done in this backyard?

Hello @faisal1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about revamping your backyard space.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Ready2go. I totally agree that the area has a lot of potential. Have you thought about if you still want a playground in the area or is it just going to be an entertainment area? Do you want to have a dedicated BBQ area? What kind of seating arrangement did you have in mind. 

These are some of the things you'll need to take into consideration when planning your backyard revamp. There is a great deal of options when it comes to transforming your backyard. But I think the first thing you want to think about is what do you want to do in your backyard? Do you want a Mediterranean feel like - Mediterranean-inspired outdoor renovation project by @LaCasaDIY? Perhaps an enclosed entertainment area like - Side yard outdoor entertaining area by @buildwithroneth.

There is also an Outdoor fire pit area with hanging chairs by @cmp3121. This is a very relaxing layout and is one of my favourites.

Once you've decided on a look you can slowly gather the elements to bring your vision together. 

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournereno, @lifestylebymari and @prettyliving for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Any suggestions what can done in this backyard?

Hi @faisal1,

I wouldn't rule out the idea of a non-symmetrical shaped deck. You'll find their use employed to add interest to a space even when a square or rectangular deck could be used. For the sake of symmetry, you'll lose a substantial amount of deck space, and if anything, I believe it would look more "weird" to place a square deck in this area. Check out the render I've put together below. It would look great in this space.

Of course, you could construct the maximum-sized rectangular deck that would fit, but you'll be left with weird slivers of relatively unusable space around the sides. These spaces could be utilised by custom-made garden beds or raised planters to finish off the area.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

deck.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects