Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What should I use to create a gloss finish on DIY furniture?

queenb1
Just Starting Out

What should I use to create a gloss finish on DIY furniture?

IMG_8873.jpeg

I used some Dulux Ceiling White paint that was left by painters when my place had a refresh to cover this bookcase (prior I sanded and primed two layers). However I mistakenly used both “Monocel Gold Exterior Clear Varnish” and “Cabot’s Oil Based Satin Cabothane Clear” which has led to discolouration. I will sand back and paint again but I am wondering what the best varnish / clear sealant / acrylic lacquer would be to get a glossy almost lacquer finish? (As per second pic)

thank you in advance!

IMG_9215.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What should I use to create a gloss finish on DIY furniture?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @queenb1. It's great to have you join us and we trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects from our wonderful members.

Apologies for the slow reply. We usually have a resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert on the site every day but on the weekend Mitch needed to take some unexpected, last-minute leave. Let me tag some other experienced members for their thoughts:

@Wendy56@LorenaDIYS@JoeAzza@twocutekelpies@lieselroberts.     

Thanks for your patience.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What should I use to create a gloss finish on DIY furniture?

Hello @queenb1 

Thanks for sharing your question about creating a gloss finish on D.I.Y. furniture. The Monocel Gold Exterior Clear Varnish comes in two finishes and that is either satin or gloss. Your other sealer which is the Cabot’s Oil Based Satin Cabothane Clear also comes in two finishes, but what you currently have is the satin one which will not give you the high gloss finish you're after.

My best advice is to use the same base as the paint you are using. So, if you used a water-based paint, I suggest using a water-based gloss sealer. Please note that mixing and matching paint is not advised as the results are unpredictable. 

I suggest thinking about using a gloss topcoat instead so that you use one product only. It won't be an extreme gloss finish, but it will be glossy enough to be noticed. 

Let me call on our experienced members @daniknight4, @Renowayoflife and @libby_hm for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects