Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Spray painted aluminium window frames

AmandaAquilina
Getting Established

Spray painted aluminium window frames

So we recently moved into our home and decided to spray our internal windows. They were originally a bright cream and made our home look out dated.

Materials

400 grit sand paper 

Masking tape

Newspaper

Drop sheets 

White knight shale grey spray cans 

Tools

Scissors 

Blade 

Steps

Step 1

Sand back all window frames ensuring all parts are slightly rubbed back using between a 120 grit -400 grit sand paper 

Step 2

With a damp cloth wipe vigorously ensuring the window frames are extremely clean. 

Step 3

Using masking tape and newspaper it is crucial to tape up all areas you don't want spray on. For us thus included all window felts, rubbers , tracks and any hardware .

Step 4

Use drop sheets everywhere else as there will be overspray incl on carpets, walls, furniture 

Step 5

Make sure the room is well ventilated as thus stuff is very strong . Shake can well for approximately 1 minute . Hold can 10cms away from frame and do a light spray over your frames .

Step 6

1st coat takes 15 minutes to dry then apply the second coat. Allow this to dry for no more then 15 minutes and remove all tape from the protected area. 

Step 7

Allow windows and frames to dry for 12 hours before completely shutting them . The project is very tedious and takes approximately 2 hours per large window to prep.  It's important to take your time as the results are amazing if you do so. We originally got quoted $6000 to spray 17 windows and 4 sliding doors and the protected as a DIY only costed us $300 in spray and approximately 40 hours worth of labour 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Spray painted aluminium window frames

Hi @AmandaAquilina,

This is such a fantastic 1st project to share with the Workshop community! I have often wondered myself if I should replace my outdated aluminium windows and now I know that it is possible to DIY them to the perfect colour. It really makes your sliding door look bright and fresh. Did you find it difficult to keep a consistent distance when you sprayed? 

Congratulations on your new home, I look forward to seeing more of your home improvement DIY projects. If you ever feel stuck or need some advice please pop a question to the community, we are always here to help. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

I was looking for information about this and happy to find it here ! 
I wondered if this was possible or is it too much for a beginner like me ? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mich1972 

I believe this is something that you are capable of doing. Having done the grouting and sealing in your tiled bathroom the paint spraying project is a perfect follow up for your D.I.Y. upskilling projects.

Visualization is an excellent method of seeing yourself carrying out a project. If you imagine in your mind the steps that you need to take from sanding to masking, then priming you should be able to apply these steps to your aluminium frames.

However, if you wish to do a little bit of practice, I suggest finding a product you can spray paint. For ease of handling, I recommend using UNi-PRO Spray Can Trigger Grip. It gives you better control of the spray pattern and prevents finger cramp when doing long spray runs.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Thank you @EricL I appreciate that 😀

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @AmandaAquilina 

I was just wandering through the pages as you do and stumbled over your project, :smile: I am glad I did. I have just resprayed my Aluminium screen door and had not even thought of window frames! :smile: Definently on my list of can do now. They looks so good and worth the effort to tape up as I knwo of paint blow through from doing the door in black and white :surprised: lol 

Nice way of keeping something modern and fresh!

Dave

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @EricL 

I had never thought of shower screen repaints until now :surprised: I have an old half bath/shower that I dont have the $$$ to redo wholly atm. I have seen the tile paint increase in ability over the years but my hesitation was always it would leave my cream shower frame behind. :smile: Think I might be willing to give it a go and see. Cant hurt really.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dave-1 

Just remember to prep the surface thoroughly and mask the surface well. The actual spray-painting part is like 10% of the overall effort. When you decide to do it, please make sure to post an update.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects